wheel bearing vs. steering knuckle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
clean stock 85fj60 w 140k pruchased last winter. First off road 2 weeks ago. Play in r front wheel like wheel bearing, lube guy says knuckle. Any diagnostic/repair info appreciated.

Thanks so much!

is the lube guy a mechanic? ??? or just a quick lube guy? ??? i would get a real mechanic to look at it.

Stretch. Thanks. Just did that, guy said it looks like all bearing. Think I can do that. :) Dont' think I wanna do a knuckle.

I have the same problem with my hj60, let me know how you go fixxing it. Any unexpected problems etc...

Jack the front wheels up, put them on the jackstand, have someone grab the the top and bottom of the wheel and shake it it hard, you look at the knucle, if it shakes too then you need knucle bearing job. Otherwise tighten your axle nuts to specs and try again.

/td

Don't forget to check your steering arms. I had loose wheel bearing like symptoms but it was a loose steering arm.

I believe he means the wheel bearing nuts. The two skinny 54mm nuts with a star lock washer in between that holds the wheel hub on and maintains pressure on the wheel bearings. If I remember correctly, all you have to remove to get to it is your lockout or drive flange cover. If you need more in depth instructions check out the front axle rebuild in Tech and follow the first few steps until it says remove wheel bearing nuts, you do the opposite and tighten them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom