Wheel Bearing? (video) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been hearing a 'clack' sound when I'm coming to stop, but don't hear it at any other times. I figured it was something suspension related but found the source is actually the right front wheel. The noise shown in the video happens with the hubs are lock or unlocked (ie, spinning the diff or not has no impact on the sound). The sound only comes from the right wheel and the left wheel is nice and quiet.

The diff oil was replaced recently. The old oil was in good shape and there is no sign of the axle seals leaking (no gunk coming out of the knuckle).

Is this a wheel bearing? It's not the groaning I'm used to hearing from worn wheel bearings. Time to rebuild the knuckles? If so, any suggestions for a good writeup?

Thanks in advance!

Video:

That’s weird. Does the hub locking mechanism work as expected on that side? It sounds like a spring-based mechanism out of adjustment to me, not sure how a wheel bearing would make a noise like that.
The hub lock does work as expected and feels smooth/normal.

That‘s a weird high pitched clicking noise to be a wheel bearing. Have you checked the brake pads and the brake pad retainer spring. Pads can rattle and click. Have you checked it with the wheel off?
Maybe remove the locking hub to make sure it is set up and operating correctly, no broken pieces inside.

A good check for wheel bearings is to grab the tire at 12 and 6 and check for up and down wobble.

Disassemble the hub. What's making the racket will be obvious when you see it

Pulled the wheel and found two things. The brake pads are making the noise. Not sure why they have enough play to clank around like that. Also found that the wheel bearing is loose.

I’ll going to go ahead and rebuild the knuckles. With 300k on the clock, I’d rather just get it done.

Pulled the wheel and found two things. The brake pads are making the noise. Not sure why they have enough play to clank around like that. Also found that the wheel bearing is loose.

I’ll going to go ahead and rebuild the knuckles. With 300k on the clock, I’d rather just get it done.

@cruiseroutfit (cruiser outfitters) has a great kit that includes everything you need and an excellent printed guide.

Does it have the anti rattle springs and clips?

1606571891461.png

Yep.
Replace the wheel bearings too, check the spindle for any obvious wear. I let a front bearing go too long and it dug into the spindle, so replaced both sides.

At 300K miles I think it's time for knuckle service. All Bearings, too. You got your money's worth out of 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom