wheel bearing question help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
need some help i am rebuilding my front knuckles ,trying to get it back together .i used the haynes manual and the toyota body and chassis manual .now for the question . only happens on the drivers wheel. when i am setting the preload . tightening the big nuts . then on the final tighten of the lock nut . both nuts twist .and the lock washer spins twisting the tab that goes in the spindle groove off . then both the nuts can back off . i am using new lock washers from toyota . picked up about 5 of them . .just curious what i am doing wrong . any info would be appreciated

Doesn't make sense to me either. The tabs are what keep the nuts from moving together. Can't do it if they get twisted off. Maybe your spindle groove is too shallow???

FYI:
Mind your torque and assembly sequence.
Hub.jpg
hub2.jpg

Last edited:
With the first nut in place, you need to overtighten it first so it can displace all the new grease. Back the nut off after that then start with step one in the FSM.

thanks for the pics what book are those pics from . i have toyota body chassis 1973 ,78 ,81 also haynes manual and manual from austrailia published by TM . none of these books have these pics .

thanks again will give it a try using this info maybe i was missing something .

I have found that sometimes the recommended torque isn't enough.Depending on your tire size and offset.Increasing the torque on the inside nut would probably help it stay in place even if the increase is slight.

peesalot said:
you can use a third nut and second washer .

I don't think there will enought threads for a third nut.

I've had a similar problem on one of my cruisers and it turned out to be that the nut was boogered up by the PO and there was a good sized burr protruding on the face of the nut that contacted the star washer. Check both nuts for burrs and file them flat if necessary. I've seen an number of folks use a large screwdriver and hammer to get these nuts off/on and this technique casuses nice sized burrs. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom