Wheel Bearing quality survey - chime in now! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mudders,

Looking for your experiences with wheel bearing replacement and how well they held up. I'm personally reluctant to buy China for fear of failure like I've seen in friend's vehicles.

I'm hearing some major brands (SKF, Timkin) are manufacturing in China so I'm wondering if the quality control is up to specs. Prices are all over the place when I call around but most places can't tell me where the bearings are manufactured.

Any help much appreciated!

Cruiser Outfitters is always a good choice. In this case, we rarely replace them, unless they have suffered big abuse, they last just about forever.

Hi Mudders,

Looking for your experiences with wheel bearing replacement and how well they held up. I'm personally reluctant to buy China for fear of failure like I've seen in friend's vehicles.

I'm hearing some major brands (SKF, Timkin) are manufacturing in China so I'm wondering if the quality control is up to specs. Prices are all over the place when I call around but most places can't tell me where the bearings are manufactured.

Any help much appreciated!
justtook my second order from @cruiseroutfit , all koyo good price.

My koyos have worked perfectly for the 500 miles they have been in...:). But seriously as tools says the originals last forever. I couldn't tell the difference between my new and 24 year old bearings.

Reactions: RFB
I’ve opened Timken boxes to find Koyo bearings inside; one of them owns the other, so I wouldn’t hesitate to run either.

I think mine were timken.

I've installed both Timken, and Koyo, both brands have many miles on them, so far i see no difference in quality between the two.

Timken or Koyo. personally I buy the latter. I can't say I've ever pulled a wheel bearing that needed replacement but the trunnion bearing I've definitely worn out. I always get mine from Cruiser Outfitters. That's the most common theme so far in this thread.

Koyo bought Timken’s roller and needle bearing business.

did you know ( knowledge wise only ) if they are gonna keep the names separately .?

did you know ( knowledge wise only ) if they are gonna keep the names separately .?

It's been like a decade,,, so?:meh:

Thanks for the information all! Mine are all Timken USA. This is the first major service on the rear end / brakes under my ownership (180K miles). Driver side didn't have enough preload so the inner cup shows some discoloration but no pitting. Rollers look great. I've decided to run what I have and take another look at it down the road. Have a great Memorial Day weekend - I'm heading to Baja!

Koyo is the bearing subsidiary of JTEKT corporation. They are a global manufacturer and have nearly the same number of manufacturing facilities in China as in Japan.

Apparently counterfeiting of bearings is a problem.
WBA - Stop fake bearings
Wow! I took a look at their web site. Big problem world wide with this fake bearing scam! Thanks for heads up!

My 80 had Timken bearings in it when I did the axle rebuild when I first bought it. 2 of the races had delamination on the surface. This could have been from being too tight and overheating or perhaps some other abuse, but I switched to Koyo just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom