wheel backspacing...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 74cruiserintexas, Dec 27, 2002.

1. 74cruiserintexas

74cruiserintexas

I save seen diffrent folks say you need 3 1/4, some say 3 1/2, some say 3 3/4...Which is best?? JT Outfitters has some nice aluminum rims on sale with 3 1/4 backspacing. Will these work with a lift and running 33's???

2. rusty40

rusty40

yes they will fit

3.75 is the most that will clear the tie rods

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    You often need that extra 1/2" with alum rims because while lighter, they are thicker and may rub the calipers.

IMO, steel is 3-3/4 and alumm is 3-1/4. I plan to run 2-1/2 with my beadlocks, someday....a bit more stance for added offroad stability.

4. teat

teat

off set

5. jsuthey

jsuthey

Hey Woody,thanks for the friendly tug out at Pismo Sn'T a few years back.We were wheeling Mark's green/wht.top 55 and got stuck on that ridge in that super windy sand storm afternoon!!
    Sorry off topic,back to backspace,I have a 2.5" 15x8 black steel for a spare and it does not clear calipers very well.Might have to do a little light grinding.I want to make sure it fits so I can replace the other 4 wheels(they are older chrome metal with black centers with a 3.75" bs) with the old wheels I use a 1/4" spacer to clear tre's.So maybe 3.5" would work better for me as I have not mounted up the spare yet.
    John

6. vfrer

vfrer

I also had a caliper clearance issue with 2.5 inch backspace wheels. I bought the wheels below...

Pro Comp Wheels 52-5883R2-5 - Pro Comp Xtreme Rock Crawler Series 52 Black Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The d-shaped cuts in the center have a lip on the back side and that is what was hitting the caliper. I am using 1/4 inch spacer to clear... was a little disappointed I still had to use spacers. I did not want to grind my new wheels at the time but I may now that I have plenty of rock rash on them.

Just wanted to add that I think these wheels would have rubbed the caliper regardless of the backspacing.

7. jsuthey

jsuthey

Vfrer,I will try my spare with the 1/4" spacer to see if it clears better.Are you ok with the way the wheels stick out a bit more?As Woody said you get a wider stance.
    So Summit charges like 10 bucks more a wheel,4WP always has them for $55.95+ free S/H.Just sayn for someone else to save a few bucks!
    4WP has got the 15x8's in B/S 2.5",3.5" & 3.75".I might try the 3.5" so maybe I won't need the spacers and have more grab with the lug nuts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.