Wheel and tire sizing question (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just trusted the tire guy and now I have massive rubbing. I definitely have to go with different wheels since the KMCs he sold me don’t clear the hubs without huge spacers. As they sit on the vehicle now, there is massive poke. I want to keep the tires, they’re 285/70r17. I don’t have any lift, but plan on going the OME route. I’ve trimmed behind the front wheel and done the pinch weld mod but it’s still rubbing. If I get some Method or Icon wheels with 25 offset, am I good, or am I just trading one problem for another? This journey has stopped being fun since I’ve made my wife’s lx470 pretty much un drivable with this tire and wheel combo. Please help.

Get Icon 6 speed, they're +25 wheels and with that tire size you will not rub. They come in a C load and is very light too, i wish i can run C load but i have 18's now.

My old truck...icon 6 speed, with 285/70/17 KO2

48659702252_e5136d63ba_h.jpg

That size fits flush with the fender on my LC with +40 offset, zero mods and zero rubbing. It will rub when pushed out to +18 though.

8A107D2D-CE61-4360-9FF4-E48F90C0DFA0.jpeg

Get Icon 6 speed, they're +25 wheels and with that tire size you will not rub. They come in a C load and is very light too, i wish i can run C load but i have 18's now.

This, I run +30 with those 17" C tires and only rub by the wiper reservoir when I reverse out of a driveway really fast. I haven't rubbed going forward or turning yet.

You've been here 11 years and we don't even get pictures of your misery?
Haha, yes, it's been a while! I started with a Mitsubishi Montero, hence the name. It rusted apart and then I graduated to an 80 series which blew up spectacularly on I80 in Wyoming. Life happened for a few years and now I'm back with a 100 and a big grin on my face (and some tire related headaches). I'll get you some pictures.

Yep, ditch those wheels.

How much poke do you want?
I don't want poke, I just want tall tires that will stuff into my wheel wells without tearing stuff up. I think the rears are okay but the fronts are a joke right now.

Looking at the 6 - speeds —
Curious how the car handles differently (if at all) moving from 18” to 17” rims? Thinking of doing the same 285/70/75 but don’t want to loose on-road handling (currently have 275/70/18 on my 1998 and stock 275/60?/18’s on my 2004)

I don't want poke, I just want tall tires that will stuff into my wheel wells without tearing stuff up. I think the rears are okay but the fronts are a joke right now.

Well like I said above if you don’t want poke (flush with fender) your offset needs to be +40.

Looking at the 6 - speeds —
Curious how the car handles differently (if at all) moving from 18” to 17” rims? Thinking of doing the same 285/70/75 but don’t want to loose on-road handling (currently have 275/70/18 on my 1998 and stock 275/60?/18’s on my 2004)

Slightly different handling, but probably not enough to be noticeable. If anything it might feel a touch less responsive. There was a very noticeable difference for me moving from 285/75r16 to 285/75r18, and again a big difference going back down in rim size to 315/75r16. Bigger rims feel tighter in steering response but you also feel bumps in the road more. Different strokes.

Alright, I'm doing this again. I'm ordering up some Icon Rebounds in 17x8.5 +25 offset. Please tell me if this is the right or wrong way to go. I'm losing sleep over this stupid thing. I'm keeping my 285/70 r 17 tires. I just want to be able to drive the damn thing without rubbing all day long.

Alright, I'm doing this again. I'm ordering up some Icon Rebounds in 17x8.5 +25 offset. Please tell me if this is the right or wrong way to go. I'm losing sleep over this stupid thing. I'm keeping my 285/70 r 17 tires. I just want to be able to drive the damn thing without rubbing all day long.

Won't rub at all

Do they rub, also what is the width of your wheel and the offset?

Got my Icons installed and everything is so much better! The sun came out and everything. The bad news is that before mounting these wheels my wife managed to hit a bump hard enough to push up the driver side fender—self clearancing instant fender flares I guess. Oh well, technically it’s her vehicle and the damage is cosmetic only.

Got my Icons installed and everything is so much better! The sun came out and everything. The bad news is that before mounting these wheels my wife managed to hit a bump hard enough to push up the driver side fender—self clearancing instant fender flares I guess. Oh well, technically it’s her vehicle and the damage is cosmetic only.
Can you post a pic? I'm struggling to make a decision on new wheels/tires.

Need the tires pretty soon here but can't decide if I'm going to stick w/ the stock 16s or go up to the 17s to fill the well better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom