Wheel Alignment with full tank of fuel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I had my alignment, I had a full tank of fuel. Got the specs on. Now when the lc has a full tank of fuel to about 3/4 tank all is ok. No pulling and feels right. However, when there is less fuel i feel it starts pulling to the right.. What gives here??

Seems odd to say the least. Does the same pull occur with passengers or weight in the back? If you have your alignment printout available post it up so we can see how things are set up.

20211129_161915.jpg
here it is... I would have thought having cross camber will prevent drifting to the right, but....

Many roads have a grade/slant to the right and that is enough to feel a slight pull to the right.

take it back to shop or to another shop which does free alignment check. They may have left the bolt loose which would have move the alignment ?

Are you lifted or stock?

Not sure if you have AHC but you need more caster. Exactly how much depends on your model and year but it's usually around 2.75 deg. Low caster will cause you to wander.

Assuming for a minute you're in a country with LHD where you drive on the right side of the road...

Your vehicle should slowly wander to the right.
  • Cross-caster (higher caster) on the right side should help you go straight if the roads have a slight crown to them as most developed countries build (which drains water from the road).
  • Cross-camber (slightly less camber on the left) will cause you to eventually drift to the right if you let go of the steering wheel. This is done so if you look away from the road or fall asleep at the wheel you'll drift off the road instead of into oncoming traffic.
How much of each you need is very dependent on your location and vehicle.

I agree linux. Already the cross caster and cross camber settings are set to pull to the left to counter the slight lean to the right of the roads.... yet as the fuel gets lower it pulls to the right... 2018 lhd, no ahc. Only mod was a change of rear springs to remove rake. drop was about 3/4 inch and oem spacer up front.. no other mods...

Your caster is out of spec. I might be wrong, but I believe the absolute minimum is supposed to be around 2.2 or 2.4. It seems most people around here like running caster in the 2.8 - 3.6 range.

Your caster is out of spec. I might be wrong, but I believe the absolute minimum is supposed to be around 2.2 or 2.4. It seems most people around here like running caster in the 2.8 - 3.6 range.

If he is lifted, will he need some upper control arms to bring the caster back into that range?

If he is lifted, will he need some upper control arms to bring the caster back into that range?
Maybe.

Some lifts say you don't if you gain <2" of lift in the front, however my caster looked similar with the cams maxed out and so I had to buy UCAs to get my caster within range again.

Actually, prior to this alignment my caster was higher, around 2.2. I felt the steering was a bit on the hard side. This was one of the reasons I had an alignment done.. the machine used was the hunter elite and I had the specs on hand for the gntez model which were the same with the numbers in the machine... the numbers are within specs...

Actually, prior to this alignment my caster was higher, around 2.2. I felt the steering was a bit on the hard side. This was one of the reasons I had an alignment done.. the machine used was the hunter elite and I had the specs on hand for the gntez model which were the same with the numbers in the machine... the numbers are within specs...
Within what specs? The factory service manual or the specs in the machine? Linux has noted in the past that the specs in many machines for our vehicles are not correct.

Edit: urj200-gntez?

Caster looks too low to me. You didn't say the model year but if you have KDSS but otherwise completely optionless setup then ~1.5deg is the low end of any of these ranges. Everything else the low end of the range is higher. You'll note the mid-point is 2.25 to 2.75deg.

1646260829187.png

I had the factory service manual specs that were printed out by the local dealership and I verified with the numbers on the machine before the tech and I started alignment, numbers and ranges on the machine were the same.. it was the latest hunter elite machine and it had numbers for so many versions of the lc that was why we needed to get the model code from the door b pillar tag to input into the machine...

When I had my alignment, I had a full tank of fuel. Got the specs on. Now when the lc has a full tank of fuel to about 3/4 tank all is ok. No pulling and feels right. However, when there is less fuel i feel it starts pulling to the right.. What gives here??
My 2013 was a nightmare until I moved caster to high 3's. Tire wear remains perfect, steering effort change unnoticeable and tracking is OK considering that they don't track all that well regardless at highway speeds. Slow down and they about perfect.

Nevertheless, you guys are so right.. looking at the specs it seems my caster is on the low side of the range.. it might still be within specs but certainly in the low side...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom