What's your favorite/most memorable bush/trail fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a broken motor mount.
Haha, no... The one guy looked in to see where the starter went but his long hair got caught in the alternator belt so his friend is underneath cutting his hair free with a dull Chinese Swiss army knife. Right? 😁

Haha, no... The one guy looked in to see where the starter went but his long hair got caught in the alternator belt so his friend is underneath cutting his hair free with a dull Chinese Swiss army knife. Right? 😁

Close.

This is your standard start to slid off the trail. Stop wait for people tell you what the best thing to do is..

Truck dies due to fuel starvation to the carb..

Starter which was starting to go out on the drive out (WA to CO) finally lays down in protest (check foreground of photo)

Pull a starter from another truck and install. Carb still getting starved of fuel.

Use 1 gallon Arrowhead water jug as mini Gastank in engine compartment, pull soft line from hardline and route into jug before fuel filter.

It was raining and hailing moments before the photo was taken and “bottom guy” me was laying in a Willy Wonka chocolate river flowing down the trail as we got the starter in place. @shastariver made up for short reach with active enthusiasm for the photo we didn’t know was happening document the ordeal.

... kinda thing.😁

Looks like a broken motor mount.

Last SAS. I delt with Transfercase linkage not working, fuel delivery issues, broken motor mounts, and replaced a starter.

Chain photos were definitely the motor mount issue.

Close.

This is your standard start to slid off the trail. Stop wait for people tell you what the best thing to do is..

Truck dies due to fuel starvation to the carb..

Starter which was starting to go out on the drive out (WA to CO) finally lays down in protest (check foreground of photo)

Pull a starter from another truck and install. Carb still getting starved of fuel.

Use 1 gallon Arrowhead water jug as mini Gastank in engine compartment, pull soft line from hardline and route into jug before fuel filter.

It was raining and hailing moments before the photo was taken and “bottom guy” me was laying in a Willy Wonka chocolate river flowing down the trail as we got the starter in place. @shastariver made up for short reach with active enthusiasm for the photo we didn’t know was happening document the ordeal.

... kinda thing.😁
It's an incredible photo to begin with but having the back story makes it sooooo much better.

Is that their starter sitting a few feet ahead?

AF09AED0-F004-4DE6-88F3-65CCBA4110D6.jpeg

^^^
@EscapeWagon62 good eye...actually GREAT eye. I’ve looked at that pic many times and never noticed.

I've been incredibly lucky and have only ever, technically, broken down once, only a few months into buying my very poorly maintained (but $1600) cruiser, and that happened on pavement. Long story short: old belt on the water pump let go without letting me know, temps quickly rose, the top radiator hose exploded (very cinematic 'THUD' followed by billowing steam from under the hood), and I was able to immediately pull over on the shoulder in SODO waiting half an hour for my buddy to show up to give me a ride to the part store.

Everything else has been more of a "Oh, that's going bad now, but no way to fix it," like when my master cylinder started sucking air once I was headed *down* the trail we'd been going up all day near Cle Elum. Terrified my passenger a few times, but I remembered a story my dad liked to tell about driving a car with air in the brakes when he himself was a youngster in the 70s. "The pedal would go to the floor, but you could get it a few more pumps to finally get to stop before each intersection." Worked like a charm when combined with 4-lo and 1st gear. He also likes to tell the story of when his clutch went out in his old Saab, and how he floated gears and parked on hills for a couple of weeks while he waited for parts to show up from Sweden, which helped me deal with a dying clutch MC one night (when combined with the pedal pumping).

Now, the inevitable march of time, causing slow wear and tear, that's the real bastard -- but, y'know, knuckle and steering rebuild and replacing most of my brakes from the MC down seem like good quarantine projects. You know, once it stops friggin' snowing.

2009 wheeling with a great group of friends from the Georgia Cruisers up in Tennessee busted a rear a semi-float axle shaft no spare to replace it. We tried valiantly to get my rig out till about 2:30 am. Called in reinforcements the next morning was out and on a trailer in about an hour.
Used the old strap a sapling to hold the wheel in the axle trick. We all were kicking ourselves in the ass for not thinking of this.
2009_0816Image0036.JPG

Not really a trail fix, but last summer i was camping with my girl up near Williamsburg VA. We were coming back off the fairy after spending the day at Bush Gardens, i had a whole line of people on me just waiting to get home so i was pushing my cruiser to not piss people off. My belts were whining but all of a sudden they stopped and i thought everything was okay, it was in fact not. My cruiser over heated and i coasted into a gas station just as it started to spit coolant. Popped the hood and my main belt had busted, but instead of just breaking it de-laminated and wrapped around the fan, causing my secondary belt to break too. The only belt i had left was the AC belt.

So there i am on a Saturday night in the middle of no where at a gas station i definitely should not be at cussing myself out for not having a spare belt. After some thinking i tried to get the AC belt off to try it around the alternator and fan pulley. this took me an hour because the tensioner pulley was froze. What i ended up doing was taking the pulley completely off to get the belt loose. After i spent an hour doing that i realized the belt was too big to go around the alternator and fan, but to small to go around the alt, fan, and power steering. I was defeated and told my girl to call her friend who was near by and have her come and get her. I was planning on staying with my cruiser till i a tow truck got there, which was probably going to be 4 hours.

After she called her friend i was still trying to figure out how to get something to work to at least get it away from the gas station( yes it was that bad), when i had the thought of turning the V-belt inside out. After struggling and fighting i got the belt turned inside out, and around the alternator and fan pulley. It was just enough tension to get both to spin without slipping. As i got this to work her friend showed up, so i had her lead me back to the camp sight. I made it the 30 minutes back with no power steering, just parking lights, and forcing myself to stay under 2000 rpm for fear id bust this belt too.

The next day we were able to make it to a parts place, which of course did not have the belt the right size. Luckily it did have a belt that could run the alternator and fan. So i drove the 2 hour drive back to my apartment without power steering, which honestly isn't that bad. Now i always keep multiple spare belts in my truck.

Edit. I just remembered when i pulled the pulley off the ac tensioner belt, i had left it in the parking lot of the gas station. I had written it off as a loss but my girl convinced me to go back and look for it. I s*** you not it was laying right where i left it, sometimes i wonder how i get so lucky.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom