whats your choice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, the time has come to get a new set of tires and I’m stuck right between the bgf and the toys MTs. the more research i do the more confused i get. SO, according to our weather and the type of wheeling here in the island, which tire would you get for your DD and why?
i appreciate your comments, i’ll be ordering them sometime this week. :beer:

I have the toyo mt's.

Nice on the road, worked well in the snow ( until things became apocolyptic)

Supposedly a much tougher tire, sidewall wise ( I have 255/85/16's load range E I think)

But they are also freakin expensive. I wanted 255's as they're a good dd size for cruisers, and there are very few tires in that size.

Had the old style bfg's in that size forever. Tires actually got hard and stopped wearing. Damn things wouldn't die. Were mindbuggeringly awful in anything slippery.

Toyos are toughter..... by a long way.

They tend to be fat, noisy, and heavy in the bigger sizes.

I ran my last set of BFG's 5 years ago. Kept loosing sidewalls and buying new pairs of tires thus never really getting rid of the damn things. Finally sold the set used and went with M55 toyos, never looked back.

Tough is one thing..... cheap and quiet are another. Hard to have em all.

I found my Goodyear MTR's to be a good balance of both and I'm happy with them so far.

Happy with 33x10.50 BFG ATs... Super quiet. I've heard they're good in snow, etc, but suck in mud.

Under 1k installed.

I've heard Toyos are better, but couldn't justify $300 each for what I do.

Last edited:
I have the km2 bfg Mud terrains... so far they're pretty good MUCH quieter then the old BFG MT's ... so far I haven't sliced a sidewall... but I haven't tried to very hard yet... quite streetable. I had the toyo OC AT's on my pickup they where pretty decent... lasted for a long time (~55k)

I have a friend in the tire business and he says Toyo are a better tire. If i win the lottery i would get rid of my BFG mall terrains and get Toyo M/T

good to hear guys, looks like the toyos are winning on this one. I’m getting a set of 5 on 35 inches/17 inch rims. they’re only 200 bucks more expensive than the bfg km2 (as a package)

wombat, time to ask your buddy for a good deal, either for you or for me. ahahahha

swampers there is some noise for ya...

see alot of the coopers out there along with the mickey thompson ATZ

wish they still made the old goodyear MTRs...

I bought a set of 35x12.50R15 BFG MTs almost 6 years ago. They're not my DD tires, LT255/85R16 Toyo M55s are DD, so have tons of tread left. They're not very good on wet or snowy roads, but are quieter than I expected. I opened a 2" gash on the sidewall on Monday and am considering a wheel and tire change too.

A radial Q78-16LT with siping would be a good size, but I haven't found any radials in that size with siping.

I bought a set of 35x12.50R15 BFG MTs almost 6 years ago. They're not my DD tires, LT255/85R16 Toyo M55s are DD, so have tons of tread left. They're not very good on wet or snowy roads, but are quieter than I expected. I opened a 2" gash on the sidewall on Monday and am considering a wheel and tire change too.

A radial Q78-16LT with siping would be a good size, but I haven't found any radials in that size with siping.

I cut a BFG sidewall nearly through (must have been at least .0010") lol. Joking aside, my cheap ass ran that tire for another 2 years. One day I was parked with the cut at the bottom in the buldge and heard a phsssss. Then when I drove there was a phisss......phisss.....phiss...... as it went around. Replaced the tire.

Had I seen what Andrews Dura trac did on the coq. I might have replaced it sooner, :doh:

(Aftermarket) Siping a mud terrain when it gets .5 tread is a great idea. As soon as a tire cant dissipate water beyond its edges you get a hockey puck on ice effect. Snow is worse. Siping (when done right) helps a worn tire retain some of its former glory. Im a big fan.

I hear Duratracs are great. Good reviews. People rant about them. Hey, I have 5 you could buy from me, all in various states of wear because I have to keep replacing the f:censor:king things.:bang:

Next set of tires I am going to try the Interco Irok ND (non directional).
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=51&g=1

o8m0ixu1mbxhr_sm.jpg

west shore spring here in town will sipe tires also... and you get to check out his new buggy that he has... was used at IC12

what about the bone crusher tires or baja claws .....

thats great to know, id have hated to go all the way to duncan for sipping. I’ve decided on the toyos and looks like ill be ordering them tomorrow.

swampers there is some noise for ya...

Whats wrong with noise when it comes with kick ass off road performance?

Radial swampers are not that good, I'd pick Toyos way before I picked a radial swamper. I feel bias swampers are hard to beat when it comes to performance per $.

I kinda like bias swampers... mine are siped! For your situation though and the tires you have listed I vote Toyo all the way, I've seen too many BFG's with sticks through the sidewall and lumps from separated belts. Maybe they are better now but I don't think a leopard can really change its spots that quickly. They would rather market to the average F150 owner wanting his truck to look cool.

Stay away from BFG, Duratrac's. Get advice from the guys that run normal on and off road for tires. I have run the Toyo's, I currently run hankook dynapro mt. The toyos were great on and off, but like Cam said there sizes are wide, the hankooks that I run now are awesome and tend to be cheaper than the big brands. Figure what rim you are going to run first then look at what size you want, then look at brands. 17" rim will give you best size selection.

jay

nothings wrong with noise on a swamper... they were saying how some of the tires are super quiet... and i do like my Q78s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom