What’s y’all’s thought on removing this (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing parts to the heater hose and mine has this fitting installed by a previous owner. I have never used it in the 3 years I have had it and honestly not exactly sure what it is for. I assume flushing the system. When I got it there was green antifreeze in it so I removed the bottom radiator hose and flush the system thoroughly and replaced everything with Toyota red. Should I keep this piece or throw it away when I replace the hoses?
4A2A7C91-F3C6-4BE1-8621-F446FFDA003D.jpeg

:eek: You need remove and do some R&R on the heater piping for sure. But why that?? No clue, but should be remedied.

Replace the heater valve with a new one as well. You will thank us later.

Looks like all your heater hoses are leaking. Replace them all and throw whatever device that is in the trash.

I'm not the bestest mechanic, but what is all the purple gunk? Some radiator fix it all solution?

:eek: You need remove and do some R&R on the heater piping for sure. But why that?? No clue, but should be remedied.

Replace the heater valve with a new one as well. You will thank us later.
Going to order the heater valve as well, since I really dont want any issues and yeah, it looks pretty bad. Thanks.

That is part of an old Prestone antifreeze coolant flush kit, popular in the 70s and 80s. That is for hooking up a garden hose to and using the water pressure to flush the coolant system.

What everyone said above.

Resist the temptation to hook up your garden hose to that fitting, you can blow
out your heater core and other connections as the typical home water pressure is much higher (volume and pressure) than the 13psi the cooling system is designed for.

Search in this forum for PHH and #2 bypass hose, those will need to be replaced also if original.

WARNING: when removing the hoses from the pipes that go into the firewall; do not yank on those hoses, the thin brass pipes are easily damaged.

After carefully removing the clamps use a razor blade or hobby type scalpel blade to slice the hoses lengthwise in a few places then again very carefully peel the hoses off the brass pipes so as not to damage them.

This is a good time to also replace the Thermostat and water pump if original or
if you don't know how long they've been in there. Toyota for the Tstat, Toyota or AISIN (Rock auto) for the water pump.

That is part of an old Prestone antifreeze coolant flush kit, popular in the 70s and 80s. That is for hooking up a garden hose to and using the water pressure to flush the coolant system.

Exactly what it is. In fact the kit is still available and used today. I have one on my 80 series that has been there over 20 years. I have them on two Bronco's that have been there over 30 years. The material they are made of must be Nylon of some type (NOT plastic) and it holds up forever. IF Toyota had made Heater Tee's and Heater Valves from the same thing you would NEVER have to replace them or have 'blow outs'.

As for use.... when flushing a cooling system, it works very well. It is incumbent upon the person using it to KNOW that you don't hit your cooling system with 50 psi from your garden hose. But somewhere along the way....'common sense' died a horrible death (in the U.S. anyway).

Attenuate the pressure (open the garden hose valve only slightly....you just need a gentle flow). Amazing that folks could screw that up but it happens.

Yeah - this
1617707661976.png

Is a completely un-neccessary coolant flush port - instead, to do that job with no permanent system alterations, I got a nice long piece of 5/8" heater hose, along with a brass 5/8" barb to 3/4" female hose adapter, plus - I saved the brass hardpipe that goes to the PHH - that gets used as a handy hose-to-hose male adapter. When I want to flush the system with lots of fresh water - pull whichever heater hose and run the garden hose water into that - it comes out whatever else you have disconnected. Run that flush every direction you can. Then, drain/fill/run-/drain/fill/run with distilled water to get a pure system.
Looks like your system needs this sort of restoration/TLC. - all new hoses&thermostat of course. Suggest just pull/inspect/replace the old water pump, if it doesn't look absolutely scary.
Note-my brass hardpipe &PHH got pulled and replaced with a big loop of 5/8" heater hose, all the way around the brake booster - MUCH easier to work on from then on.

What everyone said above.

Resist the temptation to hook up your garden hose to that fitting, you can blow
out your heater core and other connections as the typical home water pressure is much higher (volume and pressure) than the 13psi the cooling system is designed for.

Search in this forum for PHH and #2 bypass hose, those will need to be replaced also if original.

WARNING: when removing the hoses from the pipes that go into the firewall; do not yank on those hoses, the thin brass pipes are easily damaged.

After carefully removing the clamps use a razor blade or hobby type scalpel blade to slice the hoses lengthwise in a few places then again very carefully peel the hoses off the brass pipes so as not to damage them.

This is a good time to also replace the Thermostat and water pump if original or
if you don't know how long they've been in there. Toyota for the Tstat, Toyota or AISIN (Rock auto) for the water pump.
Thank you. Looks like I am going to replace everything since I plan to start overlanding this summer. Sure dont want to breakdown in the middle of no where when I few hundred bucks and a day of labor could prevent it.

I've had the flush ports on my Cruisers for the last 20 some odd years. I rarely do a coolant flush but do use the port to get any trapped air out of the system since its at the highest point in the system. I've never had one fail but for the few dollars they cost, they are asy to replace when working on the coolant hoses.

By posting us that picture, you just lost $1200.
You may be pretty close. I looked over all the cooling lines and I am replacing everything except the radiator since it is pretty new or at least it looks newer. I got this rig from Fat Bobs in Layton, Ut and they replaced a lot of stuff and now it looks like I am replacing everything else. To include thermostat and just everything. I dont want to get stranded in the deserts of Nevada or utah this summer when I have the time now to fix everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom