Whats wrong with this picture? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
What's wrong with this picture?

I explicitly grabbed this Sandvik filler wire because it says 'Made in USA' when I could have purchased the Harris wire sitting on the shelf next to it, that says 'Made in China' for nearly $10 less.

When I asked the guy behind the counter about it, he said the surcharge on that receipt was due to the presidents Tarrifs on steel and aluminum.

"Trump imposed a 25 percent tariff on imported steel and 10 percent duty on imported aluminum in March 2018 after an investigation into whether imports of both metals are a threat to U.S. national security"

But again, this filler wire says, clearly, Made in USA.

From the FTC Site:
"How far back in the manufacturing process should manufacturers and marketers look?
To determine the percentage of U.S. content, manufacturers and marketers should look back far enough in the manufacturing process to be reasonably sure that any significant foreign content has been included in their assessment of foreign costs. Foreign content incorporated early in the manufacturing process often will be less significant to consumers than content that is a direct part of the finished product or the parts or components produced by the immediate supplier.

Example: The steel used to make a single component of a complex product (for example, the steel used in the case of a computer’s floppy drive) is an early input into the computer’s manufacture, and is likely to constitute a very small portion of the final product’s total cost. On the other hand, the steel in a product like a pipe or a wrench is a direct and significant input. Whether the steel in a pipe or wrench is imported would be a significant factor in evaluating whether the finished product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S."

TIG filler wire would indicate that the steel is a significant factor in evaluating the finished product is "All or virtually all" Made in the US.

Should i not be taking my business to PraxAir any longer?

USAFiller.jpg

Maybe the steel used to make the rods is imported, but they are formed in the US? Call Sandvik to find out?

Maybe the steel used to make the rods is imported, but they are formed in the US? Call Sandvik to find out?

I am going to give them a call, however, for Made In USA to apply per the FTC, eg:

'Are raw materials included in the evaluation of whether a product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.?
It depends on how much of the product’s cost the raw materials make up and how far removed from the finished product they are.
Example: If the gold in a gold ring is imported, an unqualified Made in USA claim for the ring is deceptive. That’s because of the significant value the gold is likely to represent relative to the finished product, and because the gold — an integral component — is only one step back from the finished article. By contrast, consider the plastic in the plastic case of a clock radio otherwise made in the U.S. of U.S.-made components. If the plastic case was made from imported petroleum, a Made in USA claim is likely to be appropriate because the petroleum is far enough removed from the finished product, and is an insignificant part of it as well."

Since the raw stainless steel is a significant value relative to the finished product, my understanding of Above is that if the steel was made in china (even the base steel that was then turned into 309 SS), this would be deceptively labeled.

Merica!!!

That looks like some BS to me. I’ve only been in a Praxair store once. Did not have a good experience, never went back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom