whats wrong here (pic) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
heres my screwy steering from the PO, saginaw box with hysteer.... but is that drag link supposed to be crossed over the tie rod... it doesn't seem right to me.. and how about that angle on the drop arm? seems off? could i remount it more secure if need be . but is the bottom supposed to be at 0 degrees or parellel to the ground?
steer.JPG

What hy steer arms does that thing have???

I tlooks like the tie rod was flipped over and becasue of the the Draglink had to be mounted to the rear face of the tie rod.

Also, typically the drop pittman arms have the TRE attatched to teh BOTTOM of the pittman, not the top.

You have a bit of work ahead of ya. Fortunately not too much of it is pricy..

Looks like from the angle the tie rod is bent... In addition to mace's comments, I would say (if the tr is bent) put a new one on there and try running it w/o the steering stabalizer.... cant hurt to give it a shot. BTW, I have a TR I can hook you up with if you pay for the ride.

Yup TR looks bent, shock bushings look bad or non existent, and what kind of DS you got there?

That does look like some crosseyed wrenchin if I've ever seen it. Your PO's got it all backwards, sorry dude. My question is why is the drag link mounted on the aft side of the RH TRE? Isn't that hole conical which only allows the drag link's TRE to be mounted one way? If that's the case then you probably have some slop in that connection.

Ditto on what the others said. :beer:

Oh, IMHO the military on the springs should be at the other end.

Those are lift springs and that is not a military wrap..

But you are right, the military wrap goes on the frame end..

HawkDriver said:
Yup TR looks bent, shock bushings look bad or non existent, and what kind of DS you got there?

That does look like some crosseyed wrenchin if I've ever seen it. Your PO's got it all backwards, sorry dude. My question is why is the drag link mounted on the aft side of the RH TRE? Isn't that hole conical which only allows the drag link's TRE to be mounted one way? If that's the case then you probably have some slop in that connection.

Ditto on what the others said. :beer:

Because he flipped the TR over. Now it HAS to be on that side.

This is a bad angle for looking at it.

How's it work? Looks like whoever did it tried to make every part as high as possible which is OK but I'd want to have someone turn it lock to lock a few times while I watched it for slop, bending, or interference between pieces. If everything goes back and forth without going up and down and steers the same way as the wheel is turned, run it.

tie rod goes in hole closest to knuckle and in top on hi steer arms (that part is correct)
drag link goes from bottom of pitman arm to forward top hole of hi steer arm

nuclearlemon said:
tie rod goes in hole closest to knuckle and in top on hi steer arms (that part is correct)
drag link goes from bottom of pitman arm to forward top hole of hi steer arm
Does that mean he needs a longer drag link? I don't think the stock one would allow the REs to reach the steer arm hole would it?

And does this steering arm even have more than one hole? Bandy show pic of the RH arm. :)

sine80 said:
Oh, IMHO the military on the springs should be at the other end.

depends on the application.

ill post another pic or two up for clearer id... i don't even know who made the hysteer there 1.5 inch thick and i can't see any casting marks but i don't know...the tie rod and drag link are super bent, they have been cut and welded back together instead of shortening and retapping the end... sweet movveee PO, i'm obviously replacing those.

i'd really like to make a list of the parts i need to make this a clean,safe, and more functional steering system.. however i think the hysteer arms are of fair quality so i'm keepin them..

new tie rod/ drag link
all new 80's tre's
need to remount PS box?

any other input would be nice, or a shot of a SPO truck with hysteer that is correctly configured so i have something to base my truck on...

Don't know that remounting the PS box is that important unles it is put on poorly...

Get a flat pittman arm tho

well it looks like the pitman arm is for the saginaw box and the bottom of it doesn't fit the 40 rod end.(the diameter of the tie rod end is narrower then the hole for it) and theres alot of slop or play in it, both tie rod and drag link are very bent. so new tie rod and drag link as well new tie rods but what am i supposed to do with that pitman arm that doesn't fit the TRE

Get a Drag link that has a GM TRE on one side and a Toy TRE on the other..

Since you have to replace it anyway you might as well get the right stuff.

How many holes on the Passenger side Steering arm?

how/where do you get something like that? the gm tre and toy other drag link?

sorry but i..i'm not sure what you mean mace... theres 1 hole to mount the tre and 4 to mount the knuckle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom