What's up with Seafoam? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I put a can of Seafoam into my gas tank the other day, and then filled it up. The last couple days, my truck has hauled ASS. It's as if it's acting as an octane booster or something. I know it's petroleum based, but holy moly, whatever they put in it, my engine loves it.

Also, I noticed that it says you can pour a can into your crankcase oil as well. I assume this would be something you'd do a day or two before changing the oil, but it doesn't specify. I don't know if I'd want that strong of a cleaner going through my crankcase for the whole duration of time between oil changes.

the can i had said to change the oil i think after so many miles. and not that many

I think it rocks. But I wouldn't run it long... I've been told you can use it in the vaccum system to clean it up.

Chris

Motor Treatment and Trans Tune
Sea Foam Formula: Proprietary Blend Date Prepared: 5-1-2005
Emergency #: (800)535-5053 MFG. Code ID: 34066
=============================================================================
SECTION II-A HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO. COMPONENT EPC# % BY WT.
1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA 125 10-20%
>> NONE OF THE COMPONENTS OF THIS PRODUCT ARE RECOGNIZED AS CARCINOGENIC.

It's component #3 IPA aka Isopropyl Alcohol. Same stuff that's used in HEET and octane boosters.

It might cause some oil leaks to open up if you leave it in the crankcase too long.
I just use it through the pcv for top cylinder cleaning and decarbonizing.

jwest said:
Motor Treatment and Trans Tune
Sea Foam Formula: Proprietary Blend Date Prepared: 5-1-2005
Emergency #: (800)535-5053 MFG. Code ID: 34066
SECTION II-A HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS
NO. COMPONENT EPC# % BY WT.
1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA 125 10-20%
>> NONE OF THE COMPONENTS OF THIS PRODUCT ARE RECOGNIZED AS CARCINOGENIC.

It's component #3 IPA aka Isopropyl Alcohol. Same stuff that's used in HEET and octane boosters.

It might cause some oil leaks to open up if you leave it in the crankcase too long.
I just use it through the pcv for top cylinder cleaning and decarbonizing.

I plan on doing both once my next set of indexing washers and new DirectHits set gets here. I still haven't sent it in for the warrenty replacement :rolleyes:

Back in the day, I used to pour a capful of brake fluid (DOT 2 I think) directly into the carb as the engine was running. Pieces of carbon would soon fly out the tailpipe (1954 Cadillac 60 Special)

I am going to try some Seafoam in the tank of my 62, just for fun.

I've done the same with water. Right down the weber, little at a time, and you could see carbon shootin' out the tail pipe as well.

I would say the gas tank is the slowest and most safe way to use it. It seems to really clean out your fuel system in the tank. I also did a few shots of it in my engine through intake vacuum trying to clean up my engine before I declared it dead and to rebuild it.

I think it is something you use like every couple of years but when you need to use it a lot you are just masking other problems instead of fixing them.

yes, it works....quite well too :D

have run it in the gas tank (stabilzes the fuel if I'm not driving it much), and run it through the carb - straight down the throat while the motor was running with carbon blowing out the exhaust.

if you drop it in your crankcase, do it right before an oil change and then clean or change out your spark plugs when you're done...

-db-

I ran it through the 40 and it really felt like it had done it's job. Only snake oil I'll use in moderation.

I'm not a fan of any additive, the power of expectations may be the greatest benefit. It's like washing the cruiser, it seems as though it runs better when clean.

Whaddya mean "seems"? Everyone knows that the added weight of the dirt and mud, combined with the increase in air-friction coefficient, makes a HUGE difference...

sheesh...

Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that people actually *can't* feel the "4 or 5 extra horses" that Brand X [insert filter/lube/additive name] gives them...

:grinpimp:

cxs said:
I'm not a fan of any additive, the power of expectations may be the greatest benefit. It's like washing the cruiser, it seems as though it runs better when clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom