What's this wire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hants

SILVER Star
Threads
I went out and installed a new DS courtesy light switch and the cool tool-sleeve from CDan (pic below) this afternoon.

When I had the plastic panel off, I noticed a green wire going from the tail light plug over the metal edge, and around the carpet toward the tailgate.

Later, I took the plastic panel off the PS. Similar green wire running unprotected over a metal edge toward the tailgate.

Is this OEM? What are they for? Why are they so exposed to potential damage? :confused:

Everywhere else I've looked in the truck, wires are extremely well protected (grommets, tiedowns, foam, split loom, tape). These wires appear to be OEM (no taps, no signs of disturbance to the harness).
Gear Sleeve covered.JPG
DS wire.JPG
PS wire.JPG

Probably importer installed trailer harness kit. I found such a wire running side to side under the carpet, just waiting to get damaged and cause a short. I rerouted it underneath the truck, enclosed in split loom, as it should have been installed to begin with.

Nice bag of smack you got there.

That is a typical port installation of the OEM trailer harness.

I tried moving that wire under the trim plate. It kinda fit, but seemed a bit to much jammed in there to me. So I then rerouted it under the truck, inclosed in it in new split loom, running alongside other existing wiring.

sleeoffroad said:
Instructions called for that wire to be installed under the metal trim piece at the edge of the carpet in the back. That way it is "supposed" to be protected.

Yes, both appear to go under the metal trim at the back... sure is nice of them to protect it after routing it over/around 2 metal edges :rolleyes:

Rich said:
I found such a wire running side to side under the carpet, just waiting to get damaged and cause a short. I rerouted it underneath the truck, enclosed in split loom, as it should have been installed to begin with.

Next time I'm back there, I'll take a look at re-routing or protecting them. I also need to take a look at the external wires/connectors -- who knows what the PO did to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom