What's this thing that looks like a door bell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rhinoliner

SILVER Star
Threads
What is this round gold colored thing under my dash on the passenger side that looks like a door bell? I think there is a vent tube going into it from the distributor.
Dec21-2005 063 (Small).jpg

sounds like you answered your own question :D yep, the later models had vented distributors, and it went into the cab. NEAT!!

Damn... I woulda told him it was a doorbell. See how many times you can get your wife to try to open the garage door with it before she gets on. Keep the clicker in your coat pocket and open it yourself when she explains that it wont work for her.

So, why would the distributor be vented, is that for when you feel like driving across a lake:eek:? Seems awefully large, heavy and complex to just be a vent for the distributor. I wonder what's inside of it?

I know the latter dizzies were vented.........but I have never seen the vent....

Rhinoliner said:
So, why would the distributor be vented, is that for when you feel like driving across a lake:eek:? Seems awefully large, heavy and complex to just be a vent for the distributor. I wonder what's inside of it?
Newer distributors have o-ring seals under the caps. Makes'm water tight which also means moisture the works it's way up from inside the motor can't get out. That leads to corroded ignition components and THAT would work against Toyota's legendary reliability. So the venting system was developed to pull the moisture from inside the cap. As a filter that stock piece is actually pretty darn small. Pretty cool system IMHO...

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom