What's this sound? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doesn't sound like something is pinging, more like a tapping sound. Engine was idling at just shy of 1,000 rpm. I was planning to burp the cooling system and adjust the carb at the same time before I heard this sound. Oil level and pressure are fine.

Is this valve noise? I know those probably haven't been touched since 1984 :p and are on my to-do list. I'm fully aware that I could also just be paranoid but figured I'd ask. Thanks!

Valves do tap. Some say it's like an old school sewing machine. Are you just hearing it now or does it seem new?
How in tune w/ the truck are you?

Valves do tap. Some say it's like an old school sewing machine. Are you just hearing it now or does it seem new?
How in tune w/ the truck are you?

I've heard the sewing machine sound before from inside and wasn't concerned. I'm just hearing this sound now, but it's also pretty rare that I'm running the engine up to warm with the hood up.

I'm pretty attentive to the truck, but it isn't my DD. It doesn't seem to handle any differently.

If you haven't had the truck running much w/ the hood up then you aren't much in tune w/ it. Spend some time w/ her, let her get your hands dirty, use all your senses w/ her for a few weeks and then those sounds won't be so alarming anymore.

Nice low idle! I do hear a secondary tick. I'd get in closer to pin point it. Maybe get a mechanics stethescope.
Could be you need an adjustment.

If you haven't had the truck running much w/ the hood up then you aren't much in tune w/ it. Spend some time w/ her, let her get your hands dirty, use all your senses w/ her for a few weeks and then those sounds won't be so alarming anymore.

I've only just moved out of an apartment complex and to a house where I can have my own garage and tools. I am looking forward to spending more time working on this truck.

If you are still smogged check the smog pump. Mine was making that sound until I put a rebuilt unit in. Secondary ticking is now gone.

If you are still smogged check the smog pump. Mine was making that sound until I put a rebuilt unit in. Secondary ticking is now gone.

Fully smogged and have to pass again this year— rebuilt unit was installed about a year and a half ago, crossing my fingers it isn't the smog pump.

General consensus seems to be I need to do a valve adjustment.

Yeah sounds to me like it is time for a valve adjustment. Just seems like one of the lifters around the #4 cylinder is a little louder than the others. Could be that it tightened up or that it has loosened a bit.

Have you narrowed down the location of the noise any? It is clicking at about 84 clicks per minute...with a triple click thrown in every now and then. If your RPMs are say 900, each valve should be pressed 450 times per minute. If you watch videos of 2Fs running without the valve cover, it looks like the pushrods rotate around at about the same frequency as the click you have. If the noise is coming from there, maybe a mushroomed cup or bent pushrod? It would be worth pulling the valve cover and investigating. Or if the noise is coming from lower maybe the fuel pump arm? Just doesn't sound like too much valve lash to me. It is kind of the same noise as the AC clutch engaging and disengaging.

Have you narrowed down the location of the noise any? It is clicking at about 84 clicks per minute...with a triple click thrown in every now and then. If your RPMs are say 900, each valve should be pressed 450 times per minute. If you watch videos of 2Fs running without the valve cover, it looks like the pushrods rotate around at about the same frequency as the click you have. If the noise is coming from there, maybe a mushroomed cup or bent pushrod? It would be worth pulling the valve cover and investigating. Or if the noise is coming from lower maybe the fuel pump arm? Just doesn't sound like too much valve lash to me. It is kind of the same noise as the AC clutch engaging and disengaging.
This guy is the freakin bomb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom