What’s this? (Side of air filter housing.) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billstengel.com
Columbian 1FZ-F

Shown on the diagram but no part #.

9DA74415-43C1-460C-8907-E983A7170FE5.jpeg
908B6928-993D-42EA-A9DF-CE016B62C415.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,

I think it is an air filter warning sensor. P/N is 89593-60010.

It should have an upper tip to connect a flexible hose. Yours is broken.

It works together with what Toyota calls a "thermostatic valve."

This valve connects to another valve and an actuator in the bottom of the air filter housing, which in turn controls a flap that allows or blocks exhaust gas inflow. There should be a flexible hose from the air filter housing to the carburetor. Last but not least, there should be a hose connecting the exhaust manifold and the air filter housing.

There should be an ECU for this system above your glove box.

If any of these parts is either missing or broken, it is better to repair it. Otherwise, your fuel mileage will suffer, and engine tuning will be difficult at best.

Juan

Hello,

I think it is an air filter warning sensor. P/N is 89593-60010.

It should have an upper tip to connect a flexible hose. Yours is broken.

It works together with what Toyota calls a "thermostatic valve."

This valve connects to another valve and an actuator in the bottom of the air filter housing, which in turn controls a flap that allows or blocks exhaust gas inflow. There should be a flexible hose from the air filter housing to the carburetor. Last but not least, there should be a hose connecting the exhaust manifold and the air filter housing.

There should be an ECU for this system above your glove box.

If any of these parts is either missing or broken, it is better to repair it. Otherwise, your fuel mileage will suffer, and engine tuning will be difficult at best.

Juan
Thanks @JuanJ !

@JuanJ is the "another valve" you mentioned P/N 17061-61030 Diaphragm Sub Assy (green)?

The thermostatic valve is P/N 17728-71010 and looks like it sits on the horn (red)
For reference, the air filter warning sensor is called out in blue.

Where is the actuator?

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 10.21.16 PM.png

Last edited:
yeah, I believe the light goes on temporarily upon start up and alerts if your air filter is totally blocked, (as if that happens often!)

@JuanJ is the "another valve" you mentioned P/N 17061-61030 Diaphragm Sub Assy (green)?

The thermostatic valve is P/N 17728-71010 and looks like it sits on the horn (red)
For reference, the air filter warning sensor is called out in blue.

Where is the actuator?

View attachment 2913859

Hello,

Yes, the Diaphragm Subassembly is the "another valve." My mistake, it operates as an actuator for a flap below the filter housing.

And yes, the thermostatic valve is the one in red.

This is a picture I found to show how it looks. Sorry, I have not found a picture of the sensor.

IMG_0010.JPG

Juan

Hello,

Yes, the Diaphragm Subassembly is the "another valve." My mistake, it operates as an actuator for a flap below the filter housing.

And yes, the thermostatic valve is the one in red.

This is a picture I found to show how it looks. Sorry, I have not found a picture of the sensor.

View attachment 2914585

Juan
My intake doesn’t have the port for that thermostatic valve but it does have the air filter sensor. Might the filter housing or the cover a replacement? Did all Columbian 1FZ-F trucks have this system?

Mine:
935FCAF8-6FD4-4BA1-B542-164A2EA27F4D.jpeg

This one is @ASO544 ’s and his doesn’t have it either, at least not in the same form as yours, @JuanJ
None of the FZJ73’s that have been listed on BringATrailer have this system either. I’m a bit puzzled.

E3838159-41B3-460E-98B8-8E86C0DFE2DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,

Colombian 73 Series were essentially base grade soft tops. As such, chances are they lack emissions control systems.

There should be a hose to connect the exhaust manifold with the lower part of the air filter housing in the yellow circle.

The Bill 935FCAF8-6FD4-4BA1-B542-164A2EA27F4D 1.jpg

The hose is missing, as is the thermostatic valve. This makes me think your truck does not have the emissions control system I mentioned above.

There should be a port in the air filter box for the sensor.

It is possible that the previous owner had the sensor disconnected and the lid port blocked.

On a side note, after seeing your battery terminals, it is no wonder your harness is toast.

Juan

On a side note, after seeing your battery terminals, it is no wonder your harness is toast.
Ancient history! Harness fully rebuilt and everything works now. I think they’re stripping it out and wrapping it this week.
I’m very excited to dive into mechanics when I get it back. Spring is going to be very busy!

Ancient history! Harness fully rebuilt and everything works now. I think they’re stripping it out and wrapping it this week.
I’m very excited to dive into mechanics when I get it back. Spring is going to be very busy!

Hello,

I am glad to hear that.

You should change your battery terminals and check your fusible links. The ones your truck has do not look OEM.

There is a fan in front of the radiator. A PO's addition, I guess. Does it work?

Juan

I thought that’s a scoop.
Like, for scooping.
Or to attach a few turbos.

Hello,

It is not a scoop but a basic EGR system.

I guess you can cut it and use the spot for a turbo. Good idea.

Juan

Hello,

I am glad to hear that.

You should change your battery terminals and check your fusible links. The ones your truck has do not look OEM.

There is a fan in front of the radiator. A PO's addition, I guess. Does it work?

Juan
This thing hasn’t yet run for me, Juan. I do know it’s quite the basket case. I surrendered last fall after 7 months of very little progress and decided it was time to have someone help get me past the toe of the curve. The shop where it’s been since November has it running well and is just about done repairing the harness. I plan to replace the water pump, oil pump, fan clutch, radiator and front main seal in the spring so I’ll be able to sort out the extra fan then. My guess is that it ran hot and the owner’s solution was to add an electric fan rather than sorting out why it was running hot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom