What's this grease? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sullivansquarefitness.com
I have a new to me 1999 LC. 113k miles. I'm going under today to do my first oil change and I find this. What's happening here?

When I got the LC it had never had a TB done, so I had the dealership do the TB/Water pump. That was about 1k miles ago. This is the first time I've been under it since.

Any chance they added too much grease somewhere while they had it apart? Or do I need to start ordering some parts?

Thanks!

LC grease Drivers Side.jpg

LC grease passenger Side.jpg

Wipe it clean, drive, recheck for where grease is coming from. If hole, re-boot or re-place FDS (AKA: CV). If grease from between boot and metal of CV tulip, re-clamp.

FYI: Try to replace the CV with an OEM unit. Aftermarket is always short-lived (I mean really short lived) and cost again and again to pay a shop to do it.

If the axle doesn’t click yet the damage didn’t went too far with the loss of grease, it will likely still be serviceable and re-booting cost less than replacing the axle if DIY’s the option.

If it clicks, replacing the outboard shaft and hub flange should be sufficient.
The cost of the outboard shaft includes both the inboard and outboard boot. It’s half of the full CV axle.

Get a Toyota boot kit. My CV on my 4th gen T4R was torn when I bought it and drove it for another year and it survive. No noise no signs of wear on the outer CV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom