What’s this and any cause for concern? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Crawling around the 40 this afternoon and noticed some fluid seepage (seems minor) from this “plug” on lower left (drivers) side of engine block. What is this and is the small amount of seepage an issue (seepage didn’t show in photos). First pic from under the vehicle, second from under the hood. ‘82 2F. Thanks in advance knuckbusters!

5B64627E-88F9-40D3-84DC-E1EC09117B5A.jpeg

577A4036-8A12-4E90-8B46-B52ABB2764CB.jpeg

Block heater installed in place of freeze plug, coolant is seeping from it.

You may be able to tighten that style with that nut but if its old it could cause more leakage.

Thanks Curt!
I thought it may have been coolant seeping out. I did check the coolant. Is good in radiator but did need a little in reservoir. Is this a cause for concern?

Thanks Curt!
I thought it may have been coolant seeping out. I did check the coolant. Is good in radiator but did need a little in reservoir. Is this a cause for concern?
Whoops didn’t see the second part of your response at first. I will check and try to tighten a bit first. Thank again Curt.

Also, you can see the cord for the block heater has been severed...

You may be able to tighten that style with that nut but if its old it could cause more leakage.
Ok, got a good 1/4 turn on it with an 8mm wrench. Cleaned it up a bit then checked again after a few minutes. I can see it begin to wet again. Hopefully it slows it but I didn’t want to crank down on it too hard.

Since the cord is cut and it’s non functional anyway, you could swap it for an actual freeze plug or one of the rubber expanding plugs (similar to what’s there). Would require draining coolant to below that hole and refill.

Since the cord is cut and it’s non functional anyway, you could swap it for an actual freeze plug or one of the rubber expanding plugs (similar to what’s there). Would require draining coolant to below that hole and refill.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. That makes good sense to me. Thanks Skreddy!

Although a block heater might be nice over your way. Heck, got me thinking about one on my 40 now.

Although a block heater might be nice over your way. Heck, got me thinking about one on my 40 now.
You can be less invasive and get a magnetic oil pan heater, and or heater spliced into lower coolant hose. I run them on my winter rigs.

You can be less invasive and get a magnetic oil pan heater, and or heater spliced into lower coolant hose. I run them on my winter rigs.
Mine came with a heater in-line in the lower hose. Hell, I’d even give it to anyone who wanted it! But I’m not convinced it works. Last plugged in sometime in the 80’s....

Thank for the help!! I’ve started some research on replacing this plug and I’ll continue that. This looks doable and like it could be worse. However, anyone have an idea why this would fail in the first place? All has been dry under there. I drove her earlier this week and started noticing the fluid under her tonight, so was likely my drive earlier this week. Was not particularly cold for my area, maybe 30 degrees. My coolant is rated to roughly minus 30.

My ‘69 SBC had one that blew out after 42 years. Eventually they leak... heating and cooling, rubber, metal, rust, etc.

Mine was in an awkward spot behind the 40 steering box. Rather than tow it home from the mall, I sprung for another, ran a wire brush around the surface where it sealed, bolted it in, and refilled the rad. That was the end of problems with it. I figured I’d worry about it again in 40 years... strangely enough, the engine I paid $300 for died after 21 years in the 40. It’s $300 replacement was in 10x better shape, so it should be the last engine I’ll ever put in it.

Ok, she’s still leaking at similar rate. Started calling around for replacement freeze plug options today. I will try to do this work on Sunday.
I found one drain plug on bottom right side (passenger side) of radiator. This is a replacement radiator from 25 years (2004) and 20,000 miles ago. Am I good to just drain from this one drain and then refill? Or is there another drain I need to find and go ahead and flush the whole system as well?

Put a wrench on the radiator side of that stem, it is very fragile and prone to twist when you try to open the plug.

So I picked up a Dorman 47-50mm expandable rubber freeze plug and two gallons of unmixed Napa green antifreeze. Fella at Napa recommended installing another freeze plug instead of the rubber expansion, said he has seen those fall out, but of course neither them, O’Riley’s or AZ, have a block heater to fit) I’ll crawl back under tonight and see if I have enough room to knock in a brass freeze plug (but looked awkward). Any of you have experience or input on the screw in rubber expansion type?

I have never used one personally but I remember watching a Roadkill where they installed one on a chevy engine and never sealed. could have been a problem with the block. . . I would track down an OEM freeze plug. Then if you want to heat the engine do so with the pan heater or one spliced into bottom coolant hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom