What's the rundown on pricing for Turbo Diesel 80s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A buddy of mine owns a JDM dealership mostly dealing with drift type cars but tried his hand at purchasing a 80 series turbo diesel but has fallen on the back burner for him and I personally love the car but im not extremely knowledgable about the car. Basically, the rig is in front of my house now and I'm selling it for him, until its sold its mine to mess around with.

The rig is clean and drives handles runs great, engine looks spotless, low miles, everything works. Center diff lock only. I have it listed for 21k obo but have been getting kinda hammered about that pricing people saying its way too high. What do you guys think? I was under the impression the turbo diesel was really sought after but maybe Im wrong? Here's craigslist link:

While we all appreciate a nice 80 I'm not sure if the tech forum is the appropriate place to post this.

There is a for sale section for 80 series. Your title to the thread implies this is a sale add...hence the response about the tech forum not being the place for it.:)

Look in the classifieds section and you’ll see an 80 section for selling.

I see "What is my cruiser worth?" all the time here. I'll throw in my opinion. While I see these listed for similar prices all the time, I think it is too high. I can't be alone in not wanting a RHD rig. Now if it were LHD...

Miles are nice, but no underside pics = not enough info.

I’m not a fan of RHD either, just personal preference - I’d sooner import a 1/2 cut turbo diesel & do it into a good LHD.

Or 4/6bt swap for ease of parts.

All the JDM RHD in the PNW are over $20K, none of the ads have come down in 3-4mo.
That tells me nobody is dropping 2 racks for any of them.

These went from 15k-18k to 20k+ too quickly. Thats why most of the 21k+ ones are sitting. People are trying to accelerate the market.

There's definitely people who are interested in RHD, but you probably won't find them on here. I get people asking me if I'm selling all the time because they immediately notice me on the "wrong" side. That being said I always answer "nobody would buy it for what I'd ask." I love my old girl. I agree that 20k is probably expecting too much.

Being an import from Japan the only thing I can tell you for sure is it’s done a lot more than 79,500 miles....

I’m guessing 238,501 miles at minimum.

(Not having a go at you personally, just stating a fact).

That said it would have been taken care of and looks pretty straight so is probably a good example of one.

do you have any of the auction paperwork to back up the mileage and stating what condition it was listed as? yes for some people having the diesel is very desirable but at 21k that's a lot of wood for a 26 year old truck that's going to need work and parts availability will be more difficult since your dealing with a jdm truck. stock truck with no mods 15k is probably still high but you might get a few looks

I have seen $20k JDM 81’s with low miles that need A LOT of work.

From my experience your money is better spent on finding a solid USA Cruiser and swapping in the engine you want. Better resell value in my opinion as well not to mention LHD.

Cheers

the only thing it has going for it is the engine. its auto, not locked and the wheel is on the wrong side. you can buy a clean 80 with a shot engine and a half cut for less and end up with a better truck. personally i would say in the 15K range for it.

Being an import from Japan the only thing I can tell you for sure is it’s done a lot more than 79,500 miles....

I’m guessing 238,501 miles at minimum.

(Not having a go at you personally, just stating a fact).

That said it would have been taken care of and looks pretty straight so is probably a good example of one.

Why do you say that? I personally would disagree with that. I lived in Japan for 3 years and it was VERY easy to find used, low mileage vehicles at a steep discount. The Japanese tend not to hold onto vehicles forever, and they most certainly don't drive them as much as we do in the states. Just to drive 3.5 hours (260km or 220 miles) to the mountains from where I lived cost me $60 each way in tolls. Most people use public transportation for >90% of their commuting. I bought mine with 75k miles, and I completely believe the odometer was legitimate. Also, the Japanese aren't known for shady business practices. If anyone was going to sell a vehicle honorably without lying it would be the Japanese.

I've got about 90k miles on mine which means I put 15k miles on it in the 5 years I've owned it (3 years in Japan, 2 years here) and by far the majority of them came from my time here in the States. In the end, I'm not saying it's not possible that there are more miles on it, but I wouldn't say it's a given by any means.

I have an HDJ81 and have no issues with right hand drive. In Canada it is easy to buy a Japanese import for US$10,000 on craigslist. That said I have put loads of money to fix mine up, which I guess you would too on a FZJ80. By now I'm US$25,000 into it and don't really expect to get that back in a sale. Still I love my truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom