Whats the most NON-LEXUS looking tire in say, 33"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just wondered about e9999's blanket statement, thought he may have had a bad experience with them. A bunch of the Montero guys I wheeled with used Yoko M/T with good results in our desert terrain. According to Yoko the directional tread cleans better in mud, but doesn't matter in other terrain. Some of them had tires mixed up, it looked silly, but didn't seem to affect traction in the desert. If I wheeled in a swamp I would conceder directional tires.

The directional tires do self clean very well, but if you notice you will see rock crawlers run them in the reverse direction for the traction. I have had no problems that I could not get out of in forward or reverse. Very good traction both ways. Not that I haven't had to work at it, but I am unlocked.

For the price the pro comps are hard to beat they also have a mud terrian (not near as agressive looking). They run a buy 3 get one free quite often, mine cost me 720.00 mounted and balanced.

I am not too concerned about reverse or spare. It's mostly the reduced rotation that bothers me. I like 5-tire rotation.

I am digging up an old thread. I have done a LOT of searching, trying hard not to start a new thread about tires.

I have a 97 LX450 ALL OEM.

My MAIN questions:

1. What size is the stock wheel?
2. What size is the OEM LTX's in inches?
3. What size Terra Grappler should I go with?

In this thread people have mentioned going as high as a 315/75/16 on OEM suspension without rubbing. I was leaning towards the 305/70/16, however my local tire shop said anything over the 285/75/16 would rub.

Thanks,

Frank

Thanks,

Frank

SpeedyCycles said:
1. What size is the stock wheel?

16x8, 6 on 5-1/2, zero offset (4.5" BS) Can't recall the bore but it's something like 116mm

SpeedyCycles said:
2. What size is the OEM LTX's in inches?

~31"

SpeedyCycles said:
3. What size Terra Grappler should I go with?

Probably a 33" equivalent (285/75R16 or 305/70R16)
These will "rub" but probably not in any situation you are likely to get into if you're not planning a lift & sliders. They rub on the inside rear wheel well when all twisted up with tyre fully stuffed. It's typically not bad and generally speaking you can run those 2 sizes with stock suspension. You won't do any damage.

-B-

Last edited:
Agreed with the Wulf, 100%.

A teensy brush on the inner rear wheelhouse with one tyre fully stuffed and the opposite tyre swinging in the breeze (max 305/70/16).

D-

Agree with BEO except he meant to type 285/75R16 instead of 17. :D

I have 33" BFG A/T and I really love the look of them. I paid a little over 8 for the 4 of them. I love the look of these new Coopers though.

attachment.php

Capocaccia said:
...I love the look of these new Coopers though.

attachment.php
Me too! (pic is of my new tires) :D

firetruck41 said:
Agree with BEO except he meant to type 285/75R16 instead of 17. :D

Oops. Correction made.
-B-

Thank you very much for all that feedback.

Does anyone have any good pics of the 285,295,305 Grapplers on OEM 80 they could post?

What are the pro's/cons of 285 vs 295 vs 305 Grapplers?

I assume they go up in price?

Thanks,

Frank

97 FZJ80 said:
I think you meant 8.5# wheels on a 93LE, right?
ya but they were 14". i had 11# 15"s on my '96 before it got ran over by a van and i saw the toyota light.

SpeedyCycles said:
Thank you very much for all that feedback.

Does anyone have any good pics of the 285,295,305 Grapplers on OEM 80 they could post?

What are the pro's/cons of 285 vs 295 vs 305 Grapplers?

I assume they go up in price?

Thanks,

Frank

Here is one, but, not very good.

lc_tires.jpg

I really like the look of the Toyo MT...but the Terra Grappler is also nice. I'm probably going with Nokian Vatiiva's but that is more for the conditions up here in Canada....

SpeedyCycles said:
Tools R US,

Those look good on your LX, are those 305's?

Frank

295's, ie too damn small!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom