What's the most neglectful thing you've ever done to your 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let my dad hang on to mine for the first 23 years of its life. Between his great driving and maintenance at the dealership, shade tree mech and neglect over the last few years it’s a miracle it’s alive.

Neglect or tough love?

Bought it, then clocked the odo from 97k to 158k and never popped the hood or engaged low range or lockers. 5 oil changes from the dealership. It never failed me or left me stranded.

Fee free to revoke my MUD membership hahaha.

Neglect or tough love?

Bought it, then clocked the odo from 97k to 158k and never popped the hood or engaged low range or lockers. 5 oil changes from the dealership. It never failed me or left me stranded.

Fee free to revoke my MUD membership hahaha.
You mean you just...drove it?

So we can all be a bit obsessive about our rigs, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that's pushed things when it comes to maintenance or repairs.

I currently know I have a bad wheel bearing on the front driver's side. No noise, but it has play from when I put it into a wall during some 4x4 about 4 months ago. I should dive in and rebuild the hubs/knuckles. But I also have four young kids. That means I'm time poor. It also means I'm... well just poor. So I'm putting more km's on it and I'll get to it when I can. I figure I know enough to detect when it's approaching catastrophic failure and intervene before it happens. Maybe.

And it's not the first thing. I drove my 80 for four years before I bothered to learn how to grease the prop shafts. From the looks of it, I don't think the PO ever did it either. I had a cracked head and drove it for a year as a DD, just topping up the coolant and ignoring the green trails I left down the freeway from time to time. I had a temperature monitor on the head, so I just kept an eye on it and ignored it until I could afford the repair. The PO messed with the electrics a lot, and one of the things they did was use a single thin link of aluminium wire, probably only rated to about 10A, and they had that as the sole positive link between the starter and the battery. It burned/melted a bit more each time I started the car. I got around to it after a year or so. I once went 40,000km between oil changes.

Do I have to hand in my 80 series owner card now? :D

So, make me feel better by sharing your stories of the horrible things you've done, or not done, to your 80 series.
Confession neither absolves your sins nor does it clear your conscience. :flipoff2:

I drove my 96 model up to the Northeast USA for a two week trip in the winter once, and it snowed, a lot, and the salt trucks were out. Lucky for me however on the way back South there was an almost continuous band of intense rainstorms which seemed to track my route for about 12 hours.

When I got home and popped the hood the next day the front of the engine (which at that time had been covered with oil/grime from a leaky oil pump cover) had been cleaned off by the large amount of water blown through the radiator. I figured that most of any road salt remaining on the body/undercarriage had also been washed off (but I did take it to a car wash just the same).

Since then if I need to travel into the "rustbelt" in the winter I rent a vehicle (or fly and rent locally). FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom