What's the lowest clearance 100 Series Roof Rack setup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the RTT will be full-time/semi-permanent mount, I'd go with the 80/20 solution on stock rack. Use the longest OE rack available. Cut the iKamper support bars that runs lengthwise aft of the forward most 80/20 bar (at sunroof). You would probably have to deploy the tent to install the fasteners and it would be tough to line up all the fasteners but can be done. At least nobody could easily steal the tent!

CD6F7FF7-5DB5-48EA-972B-5D07538046CC.jpeg

@nakman's Gamviti Rack is very low profile. My garage opening is 81" and I fit with a 2.5" lift on ~34's with several inches to spare.

If interested, mark up where you want my to measure and I can measure up for you. I could go about 1" lower, but the light bar is there.

IMG_4637.jpeg

If the RTT will be full-time/semi-permanent mount, I'd go with the 80/20 solution on stock rack. Use the longest OE rack available. Cut the iKamper support bars that runs lengthwise aft of the forward most 80/20 bar (at sunroof). You would probably have to deploy the tent to install the fasteners and it would be tough to line up all the fasteners but can be done. At least nobody could easily steal the tent!
Take off, ehh! Ya hoser!

This is bad ass. It's applied DIY ideas like this that make me love this forum. Would be a done deal, but I'd have to add a 2nd layer of short crossbars over the top of it all, to run long to capture my awning. I'm going to have to look into this, because I like the original look of the OEM rails. Thanks!!!!!!!

Awning now? You sure have a lot of restrictions! haha. If you only need to sleep 2 people, I might suggest ditching the iKamper and going with one of the many 80/20 low profile tents (6" height). You can mount your awning directly to them. This is a 4Runner but a similar mount would work on a 100. Can't get much of a lower height than this. However, I prefer a fixed mattress (non-inflatable) and I prefer leaving my bedding up in the RTT. Both are not possible with these low profile tents.

Awning now? You sure have a lot of restrictions! haha. If you only need to sleep 2 people, I might suggest ditching the iKamper and going with one of the many 80/20 low profile tents (6" height). You can mount your awning directly to them. This is a 4Runner but a similar mount would work on a 100. Can't get much of a lower height than this. However, I prefer a fixed mattress (non-inflatable) and I prefer leaving my bedding up in the RTT. Both are not possible with these low profile tents.

I'm with you. I like my massive, cozy, King size iKamper bed w/ all my s*** up there! ;). I think I'll get where I need to get with your 8020 setup. I saw the hangers in Post #121 that allow you to mount an additional level under the series 15's. Done! Totally reminds me of playing with Legos and Erector sets when I was a kid. Love it. And LOVE the preservation of the factory rails. Too many after-market parts diminish the classic styling of the 100 series with crude industrial design. My build-out has at every possible turn kept the original look. You are my hero this week. As payment for your coolness, if you want to add a 25gal LRA Aux tank to your rig, I've figured that out over here: 100 Series LC w/ LRA Aux 24 Fuel Tank - How to Modify Their System to Not Suck for 100's.

Thx I have a '98 and so LRA tank has been non-issue.... almost 17 years now and still going strong! No payment needed.:cheers:

@porkandcorn hey thanks for the PM. So many options now.. if you want to run extrusion cross bars you could lay those essentially on top of your OEM rails, we have an angle bracket that makes that a bolt-up. If you want to replace all the OEM stuff and instead run our towers and 3 or 4 cross bars, either the Rhino heavy duty or some 80/20 extrusions, you can do that also. And of course a full host of rack options, happy to help you find a new solution here.

And yes thanks @jLB I'm literally up the street from you in Broomfield you're welcome to come see it all, just need to set up a time. :cheers:
@nakman I want to understand that you have a bracket that allows you to use your existing rack rails and fit extruded bars to them? Something like in the pictures. Thanks
IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG

Last edited:
@Land Shark yes that's the one I have on hand, it's intended to allow the 80/20 to lap over the top of the OEM rail, not run between them. LFD has some smaller angle brackets that work for shoving an extrusion between the rails, I believe that setup is pictured on the previous page here.

@Land Shark yes that's the one I have on hand, it's intended to allow the 80/20 to lap over the top of the OEM rail, not run between them. LFD has some smaller angle brackets that work for shoving an extrusion between the rails, I believe that setup is pictured on the previous page here.
Thanks Nakman! I went ahead and grabbed up your brackets for my roof rack on my 100.

I've got the Prospeed Rack, and from what I can tell I don't see how you could mount anything to a roof rack and be any slimmer than my rig. The 80/20 cross bars are almost touching the roof once installed.

I can grab some more detailed pictures if you want, just let me know!

B5CE3313-64F6-4830-9FC0-64E7926BB11E.jpeg

Hey all. I really really like the idea of this DIY but I am a little bit concerned about how close those 15 series 8020 bars are to the roof. Has anyone had issues with this? Should I not be concerned at all?

Hey all. I really really like the idea of this DIY but I am a little bit concerned about how close those 15 series 8020 bars are to the roof. Has anyone had issues with this? Should I not be concerned at all?

I haven't run into any issues. I'm pretty sure I'm as close as anyone would want to be.

fb98561a-6447-4014-b50e-e2633fc67333-jpeg.3259486

I would run this extrusion if I were to re-do mine and have a little more clearance.

I run the 15 series bar between the factory side rails. The roof clearance is TIGHT. In the middle of the roof, there is less than 1/4" of clearance between the 15 series rail and the top rib on the roof.
IMG_20190611_201942.jpg

That said, I have successfully mounted a RTT and awning to the 8020 bars.
PXL_20210824_020452758.NIGHT.jpg

The tent was a royal pain the the @$$ to mount and remove due to the tight clearance, but for the few years I ran it like this I had no other issues. I've since moved the tent to a trailer, because quite frankly I hated the tent on the vehicle. There is no way to mount the rack any lower than this.

PXL_20210902_155606157 (1).jpg

Considering your location, and the level of customization offered by Gamiviti, you may want to talk to @nakman
Agree! Gamiviti is top tier stuff.... and very low profile. Similar to Toyota OE. Tim at Gamiviti is super helpful.. send him a message. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom