1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the highest mileage 80-series you would buy?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by mabrodis, Aug 3, 2005.

1. mabrodis

mabrodis

This isn't really tech, so I posted it here.

Curious what's the highest mileage 80-series you would buy? I have seen several '93-'95's in the 200K-280K range. That seems high no doubt, and thinking about it rationally how many years of driving would you expect out of it? I mean if you did all the PM stuff, at what point do you think it would just be a problem?

Like if you replaced things like waterpump, timing chain, valve jobs, etc...it wouldn't appear the engine is just going to die one day, but would the compression get so low due to worn rings it'd have no power you think?

Same with the tranny, wouldn't just die I wouldn't think...things like oil leaks don't bother me as I'm plenty apt to fix things like that, just curious what other views are about high mileage 80's...all the ones I see on here that are ~270K miles were not bought with that mileage, buying it now with 270K is different than owning it for a bunch of years and getting to 270K...

2. Critter

Critter

To me personally it would involve many factors:

-What kind of condition is the body, paint, and interior in (may be a sign of other things)
    -Has it been wrecked (how bad)
    -Title Clear
    -What kind of maint has been pulled on it by the pervious owner
    -Was it offroaded alot (abused), there are alot of people out there who wheel who shouldn't be allowed too (Sparky comes to mind)
    -How much are they asking and what is it equipped with
    -Has it been modified any, was it done right or rigged

This could go on, but you get the picture.

I would imagine you could get a really nice one with 200K miles and a really s***ty one with 100K...

3. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

IMO, no limit to the mileage as long as the price is right for the condition.

4. mabrodis

mabrodis

Good points Critter...most of the ones in question have probably never had any maintenance done, ever...might have, but who knows, usually buying from a used car lot and they know absolutely nothing about them, which is not to say they are junk, but you have to make all the decisions and assessments yourself.

Just seems like to me an 80 for even say $5K is a pretty good deal, and I've seen some go for less than that, usually seats are not the best, but throw on some nice Wet Okole seat covers and bam, done...carpet might be bad, so buy a new carpet set, probably not cheap, but easy enough to remedy, then it's just rust and mechanical...

Anyhoo...just curious...most used vehicles are getting up there in mileage, and with a '93 it makes sense, that's 12 yrs old, so even driving it 17K miles/yr, which is below average, that's 200K miles now. I know we put way more miles than that on vehicle...on pace for about 45K this year in the Echo...eeek...

5. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I personally would probobly not buy a 'yota with an excess of 180k on the ticker. You just don't know if oil changes were regular, maintenance up to date, etc..

Now, a rig with exceptional records would be exempt from that rule.

6. mabrodis

mabrodis

Well I would think buying a vehicle like that you would assume oil changes were not regular and the maintenance is definetly not up to date...but it's a matter of how much is that stuff worth to you? A good example is say you buy a Cruiser with 270K miles and you end up needing new birfields, that's fine, but there are guys with just over 100K miles that have clicking birfields and could use new ones, so the extra miles haven't really affected that one part much more. It's hard for me to get out of the 100K miles is impressive for a vehicle...

7. hatfieldcb

hatfieldcb

Bought my '97 FZJ80 with just over 152k miles on it. Just under $10k. Red, real clean inside and out. Nothing major wrong with it. THe PO had done a good job of doing regular oil changes. I just flushed the cooling system (it was "fair") and had the tranny fluid exchanged (it was almost "black"). I figure as long as I take good care of it I should get another 100,000 miles out of it at least. Maybe more. Hopefully by then I can afford a 100 series.

8. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

i would NEVER buy from a dealer unless i knew the guy for being honest.
    (that being said i am a dealer)

i would rather buy private and plan for the worse...

price would dictate what milage i would accept...
    cheers

9. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

On pace for 45K on the wife's 01 Echo by 2008

I'd buy a 200K 80 in a minute if the price was right. Rust would be the only big issue. It would have to be really cheap if it was rusty, then I'd just make a trail rig out of it.

You just have to keep in mind that it's always cheaper to fix it than make payments.

10. mabrodis

mabrodis

A. You need to drive the Echo more! :D

B. I agree, fixing actual broken items is not always a big deal, my buddies '96 4Runner just went over 170K, he bought it with 165K on it, thing drives great, runs, great, we did the rear axle seals and the axles/brakes all looked brand-new, ofcourse axles don't wear anyway, but that's the point, alot of things don't every wearout, no matter how many miles are on it...anyhoo...just getting anxious to get another 80 and seeing these high mileage ones going for pretty cheap I'm starting to kick myself for not looking at them more closely...

11. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

There are dealers, and then there are dealers. Last time I check with Interpol/DOJ the dealer I bought my 80 from was in fact a member of the worlds largest estacy smuggling rings .. the 80 proved to be a cream puff, once a few wrinkled were ironed out in Houston upon flying in to pick it up. I have since had the 80 sniffed for x/coke/heroin and it came up clean, so at least it wasn't runnin drugs in a previous life.

I think next time, I will draw the line at 100K or so. This one I got at 64K .. but 80's are getting older, as all things. However I would be more discerning, and look for an LX450 with lockers, then dump 10K in mods ASAP ..

Peace,

TY

12. swank60

swank60

Interesting that you commented about the carpet/interior. I've always gone under the assumption that the interior condition is a big sign as to how well the rest of the vehicle has been maintained. --I think it says something like that on Christo's site as well under "80 newby" or "Buying an 80" or whatever.

Anyway, there's a '96 for sale here in DFW for $6990...it's only got 250k miles. :D Want it?

13. mabrodis

mabrodis

Hmm...a '96 for $6990, which means they might take $6000...does it have lockers? Lockers are far more important to me than alot of other things...I would even be ok with some leaks, if it had lockers, since lockers are a all or nothing, either has them or not, no 'getting by' like you can with leaks and such...

Why don't you buy it swank, you need an 80 anyway... :D

14. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    i may be interested :rolleyes:

15. swank60

swank60

I was a little off - $6900 and it's a '95. I don't know about the lockers - haven't looked at it. Just got an email from the guy about the milage...

http://autotrader.com/fyc/tvdp.jsp?...1997&start_year=1981&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=23

I don't know if I need an 80 or not. I need the "right" 80. I've got the AC going again in the 60, at it's running so, so well...and I'll be ordering my new SS brake lines and brake master for it soon...and once that project is done, add-a-leafs, shackles and the springs will go to the spring shop...so I can put on the bull bar that I'll order... all by the end of the year, I'm hoping...also have to slip in the new oil seals for the valves to see if that's going to help with the oil consumption.

If I find a great 80 in white for dirt cheap, '93-'97 and under 170k miles, I'll be all over it. :D

16. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Seems like they are asking a pretty consistant 14-15K in the paper here, and that's without lockers ("hmm, what are those?).

17. tltaylor22

tltaylor22

I bought my 93 with 225K on it two years ago for $5k. I knew the owner, they had three 80's at one time. He held out for three months on a consignment lot with a $10k price tag because at the time that's what blue book was even with the milage. The body was pretty good, it has lockers, but it had faded paint on the hood and roof, yep it's green. I found a national junk yard, LKQ, that quoted me $1500 for a motor, $2k for a trany/transfer combo. I figured that even if all three dumped the day I bought it, I was only $3500 from having it up and running again. I am at 265K+ now. The motor is definitly tired, but still wheels just fine. A few months after I got it I rebuilt the whole front axle. The inner axles and splines on the side gears were toast. $1300 in toyota parts and it's been fine ever since. There is definitly a risk buying a high milage vehicle. It's strange, but I figured could eat $5k on a rig that I might have to do repairs on. It wasn't going to break me.

18. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    The one I just bought has 170+ on it. Runs like a champ. :D :cool:

19. firetruck41

firetruck41

I bought mine w/175k on it a few years ago, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. :)

20. 4dmalamute

4dmalamute

I got my 1993 fzj80 with lockers a few months back with 237k for $4250.00! Ya I am doing the maintance on it now but for the money I figure it was worth it. Yes the paint is faded and yes it green, but damn those lockers are sweeeeeettttttt!!!