What's the fascination with the Confederate Flag?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by NorCalDoug, Jul 18, 2005.

1. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Is it just "fun"?

I personally don't have a problem with the flag itself, but I know it bothers some people.
    So...what's the deal? What does it mean to you?

Navy Confederate Jack

2. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    I believe your signature line quote might help sort the question out somewhat... :D

-H-

3. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Hltoppr's right....."I have more respect for people who change their views after acquiring new information than for those who cling to views they held thirty years ago. The world changes. Ideologues and zealots don't." - Michael Crichton

People align themselves with their sense of heritage and tradition. I'm prolly one of the few Southeners who don't really care to see the "Stars and Bars" anymore because of the groups that tend to represent themselves with it. It meant something at one time, but now it's used primarily here as a symbol of hate towards others.

4. BLKDOG40

BLKDOG40

The General Lee and Daisy Duke
    [​IMG]

5. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

- a historical flag
    - a major Civil War artifact
    - a symbol of culture and way of life
    - a symbol of hatred and racism
    - a target of PC activists

pick any or all of the above...

6. NorCalDoug

So you prefer Catherine to Jessica? :D

7. e9999

OK, so add to the list
    - a symbol of cut-off jeans... mmmmmmmm......! :cheers:

8. patride71

patride71

i equate it with rednecks...i don't know any non rednecks who would brandish it on their person or car etc.

9. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I veiw it as a symbol of traitorous rebellion against the United States government. It is not something that should be displayed proudly or tolerated any more than the burning of the US flag.

10. e9999

OK. Interesting concept!

curious how far this idea would extend...
    So, leaving the Civil War out the picture for a moment, let's say that IL wants to secede from the Union. They hold a referendum or some such thing and decide they had enough. Would you advocate that the Federal Govt goes in and refuse to let them go and kill a bunch of Illinites cuz they are traitors and rebels? Sorta like a Brit and revolutionary war thing?

Just curious...

11. BLKDOG40

BLKDOG40

keep Jessica around for a good couple hours

keep Catherine around for the weekend
    [​IMG]

12. NorCalDoug

Interesting to note -- t's still a part of the state flag of Mississippi. In that state's flag (for those not from Mississippi):
    The "union square" things sounds a bit like BS to me...but whatever...

13. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

More or less. If a group of Illinoians(?) got armed and attacked a federal building in the name of seccession, I would say yes, the Army should go in and quell the rebellion with whatever force is neccessary. The survivors should then be tried as traitors.
    If they just got together and decided to not be a part of the US anymore, then they would face consequences for not paying taxes or not following other laws they choose to not recognize since their succession would not be legal in the eyes of the Federal government.

Texas is the only state with the right to seceed, and I wish they would already. ;)

14. hatman406080

hatman406080

Albums:
    No matter what anyone thinks of the Confederate Flag, whether you like it or not, it IS a part of American history. :cheers: :beer: :popcorn:

15. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:

16. SCJO06

SCJO06

I have to agree with alot here, I'm in the heart of dixie and I see it everyday. It has lost its "heritage" for me a long time ago because it's linked to hate groups.

Maybe those idiots should of waved a different flag to represent their ideas.

Since they didn't, I really don't care to have it representing me or my southern roots. Here is what I proudly wave.

17. 3puttcop

3puttcop

It bothers me that there are extremist groups that use the Confederate battle flag as their symbol. And it also angers me that people are trying to ban it.

I have a small 3X5 one on the back of my 60, (people from the north glare at it). It is a part of my heritage, just like my wife’s Italian heritage (which by the way is extraordinary). I have no northern blood, all Georgia and Florida. I have a many family members who fought and died in that war. I grew up listening to southern rock, in a place where college football is king, where people, the true southerners are friendly and well mannered, and you eat grits for breakfast and sometimes dinner (with seafood). I grew up saying yes ma’am and yes sir and my mom only turned on the A/C when it was above 90. I did not know what a bagel was until I was 16, and you only saw hockey during the Olympics.

Unfortunately there seems to be a stereotype that some people associate with southerners. When those individuals heard my distinct accent, it seemed to conjure up that redneck image one might associate with the humor of Jeff Foxworthy and other Southern comedians. That image is of a culture of ignorant hillbillies (certainly due to inbreeding!), barefoot, living in a shack with no indoor plumbing (but certainly an outhouse in back), having a dog living under the front porch, and owning an overgrown lawn populated with broken-down, dilapidated automobiles. And, yes, we all chew tobacco and sit on the front porch swing playing the banjo. Everyone also flies a Confederate flag and reminisces about the War Between the States.

Far from the truth, I am a college educated professional, living in a 5 bedroom house, who teaches my children manners and respect. For me it’s about my heritage not hate.

I’m sure my comments will bring about negative remarks, but I have thick skin

18. 3puttcop

3puttcop

By the way the SC flag was also a Confederate flag, and a red one was used in battle. One of the best state flags though.

19. rgsiii

rgsiii

This is the "Stars and Bars" on the right. It is the first Confederate national flag. It is very similar to the current Georgia state flag. It is not a flag normally associated with much controversy currently.

20. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

I cannot understand it, as I can't see how it represents "southern pride" :rolleyes: without also representing hatrid and bigotry.

Also, I think Oklahoma should replace its current state flag
    [​IMG]
    with the damn baby blue and freakin' pease pipe...

...with it's original one

[​IMG]

Oh, and the SC flag it pretty pimp to me

</off topic> :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.