Whats the Factory FJ60 A/C system Supposed to Sound Like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine just sounds like the blower fan. Other than the 25% drop in HP I'd never know mine was even on :)

Yeah the one other 60 series A/C system I have heard sounded quiet too. Don't know why this sounds so loud. I guess I am not understanding how a denso reman'ed could be potentially going out so quick (if thats indeed the case with mine), but won't go against @OSS's input. But who knows. Run A/C a lot here in Texas (Texas heat: my penance for a rust free truck) but doesn't seem like it should be going out in 3 years time. A/C works so guess I will just deal with it. Thanks for replies.

Edit: I am going to check on the idler pulley. Most likely replace to rule it out.

OK sorry for dragging this thread out, but thought of a few things I wanted to try and understand about this A/C system.

You might also check the A/C belt idler pulley bearing. I had a "growl" once on my 60 and it turned out to be that bearing.

So with the idler pulley bearing idea, doesn't the idler pulley spin all the time regardless of if the A/C is running or not? Since my growl stops when the A/C button is turned off, would this rule out the idler bearing as it still spins even with the compressor off? I think I am going to replace it cause its never been done to my knowledge regardless if it fixes this noise or not. But wanted to understand how it might contribute to the noise.

Magnetic clutch bearing?

Is this part separate from the compressor assembly itself? With a reman'ed compressor, is the clutch and related bearing parts not part of the remanufacturing process? Or is it normal procedure to take the clutch off the old compressor and on to the new one when replacing it? I guess I assumed a reman'ed unit comes together with all the clutch bits.

Thanks for the replies here.

If the noise only occurs when the AC is switched on and the blower is on so that the clutch is locked then its coming from the guts of your compressor. With the AC off the belt turns the compressor pulley and tensioner all the time. So its either bearings in the compressor housing or maybe a clearance issue in the compressor components.

some good info here

Last edited:
Thanks @Seth S. This is what I was thinking that the idler pulley couldn't really cause the noise I am hearing if it only happens with the AC on, but wanted to fact check. I don't really see how the noise is coming from anywhere other than the compressor and to see what the deal is would require a bunch of work. Again I am left with just deal with the noise and let it ride as mentioned early on in this thread. Thanks all for the education.

Easy enough to pop the belt off and spin the idler and see how it feels

Easy enough to pop the belt off and spin the idler and see how it feels

I checked this when I had everything apart doing cooling system work (WP, thermo, timing cover, etc.). That was about a year and a half ago. It felt fine to me then so I skipped messing with it. Could be broke now, but if I understand correctly here, since the idler spins all the time, and my noise comes and goes with the A/C off and on, then the idler wouldn't be causing this noise. Maybe there is a different strain on the belt with the AC clutch engaged that could contribute to the noise? Not sure. I might see about a replacement idler bearing or idler.

I know the reman- units are supposed to be as good as new. Could be just piston bore tolerances or some other replaced part making them noisier.
Next time you are near a a/c shop, give them a listen. It might be normal.

I noticed the shop note they used polyester [poe] oil. the 10P15C compressors recommend pag 46, but I doubt That would be a problem , or contribute to the noise.

Last edited:
Well looks like I'm joining the ugly sound club. After everything I did on my A/C, suddenly today (while servicing it no less) the clutch on my compressor started squealing LOUD, but only when it's not engaged. Pretty sure I can't change it out without removing the compressor. Cripes I cant catch a damned break.....

Edit: Belt was loose but not so loose it was slipping in the pulley unless I switched the AC on at highway speed (would slip for a little less than half a second). It got replaced when I changed all my belts and they're all nice and snug now and no more squeal from the clutch when it's open.

Last edited:
So to round this thread out, I took the Cruiser down to Waco for some tacos and something else to do other than work inside. Over 100 degrees this day and the A/C system just was not keeping up. Was cool but not cold. Also it did not seem to be cycling on and off like it should. I took it to my go to local Toyota dealer (Pat Lobbs Toyota of Mckinney for anyone local who wants this done) and had them evacuate and refill the system. They told me the system hardly had any freon in it. With the new charge up, the compressor is much quieter and cooler and the system cycles on and off now. I am just not driving the truck much these days so was not paying close enough attention to how often the compressor was cycling. A little concerned I may have damaged it running this way but seems good to go now. Anyway thanks for all the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom