Whats the Diff on Diff's? 91-97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
80heads,

Does anyone know if the early (91-92) 80's used the same axles as the late 60's? IE will a fine spline 60 series 3rd fit a early 80 series housing? Both FF & SF?

Thx

The SFA 80 shafts are different part numbers than the 60-62 shafts. The differential carriers are also different part numbers. Late 62's use tthe same part number side gears as the open 80 does.

Short answer is I do not think you can swap them.

well that answers that...just as I suspected. Thx for clarification Cdan... :cheers:

It seems like you should be able to swap 80 rear and 62 front/rear. Both are fine spline, but '93 and later rear may be FF.

cruiserman said:
It seems like you should be able to swap 80 rear and 62 front/rear. Both are fine spline, but '93 and later rear may be FF.

I think they would swap, but they are different. The carrier changed fundamentally in '91 and went to smaller V-6 mini truck carrier bearings. The R&P ratios are also different. THe 80 series has a 10 tooth pinion and 41 tooth ring gear. THe 62 has a 9 tooth pinion and a 37 tooth ring gear. I don't think that the side gears of the later FZJ80s with the FF would work in an FJ62 because there is no groove for the c-clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom