What's the cost to keep a Land Cruiser 100? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I'm new here. First let me introduce myself.

I'm from Texas and currently is a college student. I own a 2001 Infiniti QX4 now, which is generally a nice truck. But I want a Land Cruiser 100 if possible. My friend is a dealer, I'm working with him to get me into the used car resale business. So I have access to the dealer only auctions which cost much less to purchase a car.

I was not a big fan of Toyota in general until one day I was tired of fixing my car and decided to buy a Toyota. So I searched the Toyota Land Cruiser ("if I gonna drive a Toyota, I'll drive a good Toyota." That's what I was thinking). I was shocked by the value of the used Land Cruisers. I was like "are you kidding me?!". Then I did a research to figure out why it is so expensive. Next thing you know, I felt in love with Land Cruiser.

I'm planning to purchase a Land Cruiser 100 whenever my financial status allows me to do so.
My questions is: How much is it cost to own a Land Cruiser?
I barely drive 3,000 miles per year. Maybe I drive more this year, 5,000 miles maximum.
What will be the cost to feed the LC? Do I have to use premium gas? How about insurance? Is it much higher than other cars? I'm paying around $65 per month for my Infiniti QX4 with only liability coverage and a crappy insurance company. Most importantly, maintenance, how likely that I will need to replace some parts on a LC 100?( Exclude cosmetic parts, I'm planning to buy one with cosmetic damage since it'll be cheaper, and I can fix it cheaply)

Thank you very much!

i will get you started....I have owned a 98 for about a year and a half, got it with 69,000 miles. I believe i have full coverage and being 21 insurance is around a grand a year. PArts are expensive dont forget that these are 50-65k cars new (maybe even higher for the newer ones) so parts are more expensive to get my starter repalced was about $650.... but now its rock solid.

i will get you started....I have owned a 98 for about a year and a half, got it with 69,000 miles. I believe i have full coverage and being 21 insurance is around a grand a year. PArts are expensive dont forget that these are 50-65k cars new (maybe even higher for the newer ones) so parts are more expensive to get my starter repalced was about $650.... but now its rock solid.

Thank you. That's good to know. Maybe I should stay with my Infiniti a little longer. I changed the starter on my infiniti too. Cost me $200 part + labor. I can get dealer price for parts, not much cheaper though. A grand a year for full coverage insurance is cheap if you were 21. I had several companies quote me over two grand a year for only liability coverage for my infiniti. I had zero accident and zero ticket. By the way, why do you sell your Land Cruiser?

I would say buy a LC based on past service records. If it has been properly maintained you will have less expense later on. Don't buy a beater unless you can do your own wrenching.

Gas mileage should not be a worry if you max out at 5000 per year. Expect 12-15 mpg with normal driving. Insurance costs will be based on year model so you would save with an '98-'02 model.
I normally run mid-grade gas and sometimes 87 octane up to premium non-ethanol. Never had a problem with 87 octane though.

The large ticket items are a little hard to adjust to. Things like master cylinders on 98-99 are around $2000.00. Transmissions about $4000.00.
Front diff. is expensive if you break it.

I have not found much that can be fixed "cheaply" even by doing it myself. Call it less expensive.

Modifications depend on how deep your pockets are. Needs and wants are both in that column. After all that I don't know of another truck that I would rather have based on the off-road capabilities and comfort of just cruising down the highway.

Last edited:
i did not sell my LC. i meant that i have only had it for a year and a half. It is my dream car, i will never get rid of it.

I would say buy an LC based on past service records. If it has been properly maintained you will have less expense later on. Don't buy a beater unless you can do your own wrenching.

Gas mileage should not be a worry if you max out at 5000 per year. Expect 12-15 mpg with normal driving. Insurance costs will be based on year model so you would save with an '98-'02 model.
I normally run mid-grade gas and sometimes 87 octane up to premium non-ethanol. Never had a problem with 87 octane though.

The large ticket items are a little hard to adjust to. Things like master cylinders on 98-99 are around $2000.00. Transmissions about $4000.00.
Front diff. is expensive if you break it.

I have not found much that can be fixed "cheaply" even by doing it myself. Call it less expensive.

Modifications depend on how deep your pockets are. Needs and wants are both in that column. After all that I don't know of another truck that I would rather have based on the off-road capabilities and comfort of just cruising down the highway.

Thanks. I'm not going to modify it though. So I guess the cost to own a Land Cruiser will be more expensive than my current Infiniti. I want Land Cruiser's bullet proof reliability. If the overall cost will be even more than my current truck, I guess I'll stay with my truck longer.

If you drive one, you will spend endless nights searching for the perfect one

If you drive one, you will spend endless nights searching for the perfect one

I have spend endless nights searching for it already. I had a chance to buy 99 LC with cosmetic damage for $5500. I'd take it if I had the money.

I haven't drove one though. I imagine it will be similar to my infinity qx4. My truck has slightly more horsepower actually.

Those big ticket items don't happen to everybody. Just saying be aware of it. Prolly not much cost difference on your QX4. They are built to last but expensive to repair.

Thumbs up on the FREEDOM avatar!

Those big ticket items don't happen to everybody. Just saying be aware of it. Prolly not much cost difference on your QX4. They are built to last but expensive to repair.

Thumbs up on the FREEDOM avatar!
If that's the case, it's not bad. The QX4 is not badly expensive to fix. I replaced my starter two months ago and spent $200 in total. I searched the price for a starter of 2000 land cruiser, it is $90 to $100 which is about the same price with the QX4.

Try to get into a 4Runner. Starting out of college and working, especially if you have to drive a lot, it will be a great vehicle. Overall, Cheaper to operate, repair, and find to buy at fair price since there are so many available. The 4th gen V8 4x4 shares the same drivetrain as the 100.

Try to get into a 4Runner. Starting out of college and working, especially if you have to drive a lot, it will be a great vehicle. Overall, Cheaper to operate, repair, and find to buy at fair price since there are so many available. The 4th gen V8 4x4 shares the same drivetrain as the 100.
I'll just stay with my QX4 then. Cost less than a 4Runner but more luxurious.

There is a reason that parts for Land Cruisers are relatively expensive. It's because Landcruisers are a high quality build. You get what you pay for. There are lots of sources on this forum where you can get parts at a discount. if you learn to take care of basic basic maintenance items then you don't have to pay shop rate to get things fixed.

I haven't drove one though. I imagine it will be similar to my infinity qx4. My truck has slightly more horsepower actually.

I put a lot of miles on a 2002 pathfinder, which is largely similar to your QX4, but obviously less luxurious. The VQ35 engine (which is pretty highly regarded in its own right) in the smallish SUV platform is a lot more fun to drive than a LC and the maintenance cost and effort was very similar, as was the reliability I experienced. For your driving needs, the QX4 is probably great. I moved up to the size and capability of the LC when my expedition type trips grew in length (and family and dogs) and I needed the extra space and load capacity.

All that said, the LC is my favorite vehicle I've owned. Go get one!

thats fine...until you find our where the starter lives in a 100 series.......the intake must come off to replace

If that's the case, it's not bad. The QX4 is not badly expensive to fix. I replaced my starter two months ago and spent $200 in total. I searched the price for a starter of 2000 land cruiser, it is $90 to $100 which is about the same price with the QX4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom