Whats the correct way to desmogg? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
The PO removed the air rail and looks like they JB Welded the holes shut. It appears that that is the only thing they removed. I have no hoses going to the air cleaner. I have no emmission test required where I live so what is the correct way to remove this system? I know I could gut the pump but I'm thinking of getting an idler instead and selling the pump to some one who needs one. Thanks
Andy

my de-smog

1. I sent the stock carb and distributor to Jim C. for rebuild and recurve. 2. I bought his idler pulley and 2 plastic plugs for the large ports on the air cleaner. 3. I had a muffler man cut off the little air pipe on the exhaust pipe and weld on a patch. 4. The holes for the EGR pipe in the exhaust manifold and were plugged as per the IH8Mud tech section. 5. There were lots of vacuum driven stuff removed (ERG valve, ERG vacuum modulator, ABV, ACV, VSV1 for Ai, HAC, choke opener (Jim C. removed), air pump, the metal pipes that make up spagetti junction, air rail). It runs good and gets good mileage (1986 FJ60 2F). The air rail holes are plugged with hex head pipe plugs. I would be willing to sell any of the stuff that I removed if someone is interested.

Thanks for the reply. What I was wondering is since my air injection rail is removed that means that my air pump and air injection system is no longer useful right? If so how do I go about correctly removing just the air injection system. My EGR, HAC and dizzy advances seam to be working correctly.
Thanks

emissions manual

The emissions manual shows the following components to the AI system. Air pump, Air Control V, Air Bypass V, Air Switching V, Vacuum Switching V 1, Vacuum Switching V2, and Bimetallic VSV 2. I would presume (and I am in way over my head) that you would remove all of the above and plug their hoses. That would include 2 large openings in the air cleaner and one of the little hoses off the "row of three" on the air cleaner that goes to VSV2. You could just make a dead loop with a piece of hose for the BVSV2 (it is the lower one on the thermostat housing, mine is pink). You would plug ports associated with AI (I think #6 and 10 but there is a discrepancy in the manual). Two of the 3 ports on the "gas filter" which is the 3-ported plug on the intake manifold forward of the carb are involved and should be plugged both ways.
I do not have a clue if this is correct...a retired veterinarian, not an engineer.

I am interested in the smog parts Heartworm. PM'ed you.

Does anyone have any pics of this? I know this is a bit more detailed than most mods but it might give some of us a better perspective.
Thanks,

NoCalFJ60

I sent you a PM about the parts.

Heartworm said:
The emissions manual shows the following components to the AI system. Air pump, Air Control V, Air Bypass V, Air Switching V, Vacuum Switching V 1, Vacuum Switching V2, and Bimetallic VSV 2. I would presume (and I am in way over my head) that you would remove all of the above and plug their hoses. That would include 2 large openings in the air cleaner and one of the little hoses off the "row of three" on the air cleaner that goes to VSV2. You could just make a dead loop with a piece of hose for the BVSV2 (it is the lower one on the thermostat housing, mine is pink). You would plug ports associated with AI (I think #6 and 10 but there is a discrepancy in the manual). Two of the 3 ports on the "gas filter" which is the 3-ported plug on the intake manifold forward of the carb are involved and should be plugged both ways.
I do not have a clue if this is correct...a retired veterinarian, not an engineer.
Thanks for the info. Does the AI work independantly of the other systems? If I remove all the above it won't mess up anything else, or will it? I just ordered my emmisions and motor manual yesterday. Can't wait for them to get here. I'd like to get my cruiser on the road.
Thanks
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom