whats the biggest tires before you break (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what are the biggest tires on a 76 fj40 you can run on stock drivetrain, medium core off road to semi hard core, before things start to break. 35" 37". looking at new meats :cheers:

33's....

I busted pinions, stock birfs, and early-gen Newfields...no problemo....

maybe my driving habits changed, but i didn't break anything with 38.5 and have broken everything with 35's.

i've broken a front cv and freewheeling hub at the same time in a stock 1976 Fj40 with 33 inch radial claws on it. unlocked front. nothing too hard.

a locker might have saved it in that position though, i believe it was wheelspeed then a sudden stop that made it go click

35's seem to be the happy medium... that being said I have busted nearly a dozen different shafts (prior to Chromo longs and FF rear, KNOCK ON WOOD :D)

31"s.... disc brake fing birf...

It really depends on how you drive. Are you a careful slow going driver or do you figure that having speed and power will let you make it up the obstacle just as fine as driving slow. You can really break anything with even stock tires on, it's just how hard do you drive stuff?

It sounds like this is similar to asking how beers does it take to get drunk. The answer will be different for everyone.

I have only broken two drum birfs, one with 33's one with 35s, both locked up front. Since I have done my fj60 axles with longs on the outside, I havn't broken anything, we'll see what happens when I get 38s. I'm just planning on upgrading everything as it dies, but i'm very easy on the skinny so, we'll see.

33's is your safest bet anything bigger parts start to break really fast when start giving it hell on the trails.

35s were fine for a while til the stock rear Dshaft twisted and snapped. Never had any other breaks though. Nothing too rough besides deep mud and the occaisional hill climb where I was living at the time. Utah terrain is a bit different than where I was. Just be prepared to start beefing it up as you break it, no prob. ;)

I've seen drum birfs breaking on tires as small as 31s. Never seen a disc birf break on less than 33s. Never seen a semi floater rear axle break on less than 33s.

So my answer is 33s. ;)

thats what i figure and my wife is cool with it, just beef up as it breaks, so i guess i start with 35-36s and go from there. thanks fellas i figured it would be a how you drive type answer.

I Broke one Birf with 35's,, Now i know how far i can push the truck till it will break and have since not jacked too much up.. Except i Twisted up my Rear driveshaft comming out of Cliffhanger in Moab, But i think it was due to a crappy Driveshaft shop using thin crap..

Now that i will be locking the Front, and running 37's i will be getting some Cromo Longs, Fine Splined Rear Pinon..

Running 35's with no breakage... yet!

I think so much of your "luck" depends on PO's quality of maintenence. Mine was a one owner before me.

rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom