What’s the best way to lift a pig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m new to Land Cruisers and FJ55’s and I just bought 2, one that runs great (attached) and the other is rolling. Plus 2 spare diffs, 2 with disc brakes, 3 spare engines (2F) and a ton of other parts for $2500 Can. I think it was a good deal??

Any ways getting to the point I was wondering on the best way (parts and installation) to lift it 2 or 3 inches. I think that should be plenty of lift to put 32” or 33” tires under her. Thanx
IP1.jpg

welcome to the land of pigs ...... Mud Salute :flipoff2: seems like you got a lifetime of pigs in that deal, nice going! :cool:

I ran a quick search and ..... https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50615&highlight=55+lift+kit

my 2 cents, the MAF lift sucks, Alcans are a good option for spring under lifts, stock springs SOA are good for road and offroad depending on your taste though a 'low' springs over axle lift usually gives 6" of lift minimally but that is not really that high and will clear 35's, of which you may ultimately want... so I say, do it once and exactly how you want it and move on to other things... and the search function is great here and at the 40/55 tech.... :beer:

not to put you off the lift, but from my knowledge 33"s will fit with standard suspension and not rub.
don't quote me, as i heard it from someone else i don't know how much truth is involved.
but by all means, if you want lift, i say go for it.

Dan.

33's will fit with no lift I've heard they will rub a little and I've heard they wont. You could always consider just a shackle lift rather then spring lift, add-a-leafs are an option too.

I put a 33" on mine last night to help judge what I need to do with mine. Under full stuff it will rub. All mine has is extended shackles. I am still going to go SOA and trim the rot out so I don't rub.

Sorry forgot to say that the shackles on mine were there when I bought it. I don't much care for the idea myself. They used some serious bar stock on mine that I am going to cut down to stock length for the SOA.

The Beltons are from Australia (Offroad Australia is the brand, I think). The springs are manufactured in Indonesia, same factory that makes OME Dakars and I think a lot of OE automotive springs. They offer soft, medium, firm packs, 2" lift. Comes as a complete package, springs, shocks, bushings, greasable shackles, pins, etc.
Found a link: springs I'm one of about two people in the US that have them, so I'm special...

I've only installed the rear ones so far (got 'em last June :rolleyes: ) They're mediums, and the ride is VERY firm empty. Did some wheeling a few weeks ago without anything in the back and it was rather punishing, didn't air down the tires either, though... Loaded down though, rides pretty nice. I plan on getting the fronts done soon, now that I've finally reclaimed my garage.

nial

There are not really any decent options for the pig out there besides alcans or SOA. Belton has a decent reputation, but not much info on them has ever been put out on fj55 specific springs. I guess out of desperation you could swap all the spring hangers and possibly perches and go with the springs of your choice.
I run a 1" body lift on very saggy springs with 33" tsl's and they do rub a little in the rear and would rub in the front if my fenders were not cut. I think with a 1" body lift you would have no problems fitting a smaller 33" tire, like a bfg or goodyear. Those will not measure a true 33", especially if put on a 10" rim. Any body lift over 1" starts to cause problems, like fuel filler hoses, shifters and linkage, wiring, radiator shroud and fan, etc..

Has anyone swapped the front springs for a set of 40 fronts? A slightly longer spring, maybe a little more flex.

Surfpig nailed the Belton question. Not many sets on 55's in the US. GregB @ http://gscruiserparts.com/engines.html sells them and he is on this board. I plan on buying a set soon and was actually going to contact Surfpig and ask about the ride. As Greg told me he had bought a set.

Lucy_fj55 if your interested in a set let me know. I may see if any other locals are interested and do a road trip to the great white north, pick-em up and save a few bucks on shipping. Plus it is an excuse to hit Canada for a day or two.

Don Barr of RMLCA let me drive his Belton'd Pig at River Shiver. At that time I was thinking of the Belton kit to replace my sagging MAF springs. I liked the ride- very firm, but very tune-able- something like 11 leaf rears? Don also noted that the springs were still very fresh, and the truck was empty in the rear.

I ended up replacing my rear springs with more Alcans; the belton kit wasn't tall enough for me, and I've had good luck with Alcan.

Another vote on the Alcans, love mine, I'm actually going SOA/4 Link... SOA REAL soon...but I have really liked the Alcans. Get whatever lift and weight rating you want with Alcans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom