whats the best way to grease the knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
without tearing down the front end,
i know there are plugs you can take out of the knuckle to fill, but do you use a grease gun? and does the moly lube come in the tubes for them?

Yes, a grease gun, yes it come in tubes. I actually did my entire birf job with just tubes of grease. The local Autozone stocked moly, but only in tubes.

There is a square plug on the top of the knuckle. 10 or 12mm, don't remember. My grease gun fits in easily - almost like it was designed to!

For what it's worth - this topic has been discussed extensively on the 80's forum, and the prevailing opinion seems to be that you can't get grease into the birf via this hole. It's only function is to add grease to the knuckle cavity compensate for the grease the weeps out from the felt seals.

A trick to "see" what's going on in your knuckle, is to use a long zip tie as a dip stick. Easy to do, just don't drop it in there!

Grease generally does not weep around the rubber/felt seals, gear oil does..

rip the front end apart and do it right imho

Yup

Mace said:

rip the front end apart and do it right imho

I KNOW MY BIRFS ARE GREASED, BUT I DONT THINK (caps :mad: ) i filled the knuckle very well.

i gotta do my front third next weekend anyway, i'll do them then.

thanx all!!! :cheers: & :beer:

Mace said:

I'm not an automotive engineer, but what I remember from the 80's forum is...the felt/rubber seal is designed to keep the knuckle bell (not sure if this is the right word - the shiny part facing inwards) clean and lubricated. Apparently, the felt is designed to allow a little bit of grease to wick from the knuckle housing and thus be distributed across the bell as the knuckles turn. The factory recommendation to grease the knuckles is to replace the grease lost through this wicking/weeping action.

Of course, I've been wrong and/or confused often, so maybe this is just another case!

You are not actually wrong. The problem is that most of the time when you actually have visible amounts of grease "weeping" from the knuckles your inner seals are shot and ghear oil is slipping past them.

The natural process and the reason the felt/rubber seals are there is a VERY slow process ;)

Thanks Mace. That makes sense.

You can also drill the square plugs and install grease zerts in them, works great ,you can keep on adding grease un till it starts squrting out of your felt seal if you want after you've done this mod!!
I think that once you have them full and you do a sharp turn it will force feed the grease into your birfields.

Cruzilla said:
you can keep on adding grease un till it starts squrting out of your felt seal if you want after you've done this mod!!
QUOTE]
you don't want the cavity to be full...that will cause excessive heat buildup. you just want an ample amount of grease. filling until is squeezes out somewhere is way to much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom