What's the best way to clean oil bottom of 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My OBRI (On Board Rust Inhibitor aka oil leak) is pretty bad. I want to clean underneath to try to start figuring out where my worst problems are. There are plenty of good threads on common leak areas. What I need to know is how can I clean the living $?@# out of the underneath of the Cruiser without damaging anything. I was thinking soak with Purple Stuff, toilet brush, & pressure wash (no more than 1,500 PSI). Will this be OK? Is there a better safer way? My concern is if oil can get out, high pressure degreaser can get in. Advice?

I use stuff called Oil Eater or grease lightning spray the **** out of the bottom of your motor an use a lower hot pressure washer then repeat as many times until you are happy. I won't hurt anything. I layed under mine when i first got it and cleaned and cleaned.
Best of luck to you. I bet it is your oil pan gasket. Just my 2 cents

Joe

I don't use any spray engine cleaner stuff in a can, it can attack rubber IME. Also I never point the high pressure nozzle at anything like a harness bundle, the top of the engine, brake reservoir, or the ends of the axle housings where the knuckle seals are located, I clean that area off by hand, same with any other large accumulations. The car wash did a good job for me when cleaning the front and bottom using the engine cleaner setting first followed by soap and rinse.

I get mine hi centered on a sand dune in Pismo. Let the sand wipe it off.
Once i had a car wash do it before I did a Front axle job. Felt bad for the poor bastard when he was thru, looked like he was on "dirty Jobs". They used a mixture of steam and diesel I was told. Sure was purty after that.

IIANM on (some at least) 80s there is a layer of undercoating in places, some thick almost tar-like substance. You may not want/need to remove that.

IIANM on (some at least) 80s there is a layer of undercoating in places, some thick almost tar-like substance. You may not want/need to remove that.

X2 on that. You'll end up with a bigger mess.

I had a local auto detailer steam clean my underside. They use a high heat, low pressure steam that does a good job of cutting through grime.

I had a local auto detailer steam clean my underside. They use a high heat, low pressure steam that does a good job of cutting through grime.

I was thinking about doing this also. The grease from the U-joints is built up like crazy underneath mine.

A personal favorite of mine is Super Clean in the purple bottle from Wally world. Buy the Gallon and put it in a spray bottle. Its up to you if you choose to dilute it.
Auto parts stores carry it, but its more expensive. Don't waste your time with the aerosol degreasers. Just don't go crazy with it around the hoses and aluminum. Spay it on and leave it for a couple minutes on a cool or slightly warm engine.

Another trick is to hook up your water hose to your water heater drain and add a Y garden hose fitting to mix cold water in it to cool, down the hot water. You can mix and match PVC fittings or hose fittings to reverse the 1 in 2 out to 2 in 1 out for under a 5 bucks. This way you can adjust the temp. Hopefully i'm not confusing you. I just had a couple margaritas.

Pressure washer is most effective.:idea: Get what you can and then go after it with engine cleaner.:hmm:

I think this might be the solution you are looking for:

firehose_kids.jpg

Pressure washer is most effective.:idea: Get what you can and then go after it with engine cleaner.:hmm:

X2 that.... That worked for me... although
i did use a good brand degreaser in a spray bottle first... Save the engine cleaner/speciality products to the final rounds... and remember, alway let it soak up the product after evey application...

P.S. Be Prepaired for a grimmy, nasty driveway...;) Still cleanable... just keep the preassure washer handy...

I've just used simple green de-greaser followed by a garden hose to clean before performing maintenance. I'm leery about shooting high pressure water up into my 18 year old trucks engine bay.

It seems to work fine, but requires patience.

I believe that the various slow power steering and oil leaks on my truck do more good than harm to the under carriage (red neck rustproofing).:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom