What's the best way to clean my Tranny/Transfer Case? (1 Viewer)

I'm planning on cleaning up, repainting my Tranny/Transfer Case, as well as replacing a few gaskets.

What's the best way to clean these without taking them completely apart?
DSC01012.JPG
DSC01013.JPG

BDSeff1fitty

1982 Toyota Pickup

when cleaning mine i used ALOT of engine degreaser and wire brushes. took a while, i got most of it off, got a little left to do before i repaint the t-case and tranny

I'm doing the same thing. I've been using oven cleaner (go to the dollar store), Castrol Super Clean, and diesel fuel (separately, not all together). Get a brush and some gloves and go to it. I had a ton of greasy crud packed between the tranny and t-case, so I pulled them apart. Makes it easier to handle them too.

the only consistent way I have found is to first break up the gunk with a thinner oil (wd40/diesel fuel/etc.), then add elbow grease. When the elbow grease has done it's thing you then have to degrease (which always seems to take more elbow grease).

I tried pressure washing, but just makes a huge freaking mess, and doesn't ever get things clean enough.

I used a scraper, die grinder with a wire wheel, degreaser, tooth brushes and directed a slow jet of water from the garden hose to it with 150psi compressed air to get the bits in the corners I couldnt get at with the brushes..

gallon size of Simple Green worked awesome on my 700r4 i just bought, cleaned and repainted. comes as a concentrate so depending on the level of grime, you can dilute. go Simple Green

Oven cleaner and trisodium phosphate work great and are cheap. Just don't let aluminum parts sit in it for days.

I did not read the thread but what works best for me is Castrol Super Clean. It wont kill Salmon either!!!!!

Shane

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom