1 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

76YotaBMWMazda

Threads

Last edited:
OME and some Bilstein 5100s are pretty hard to beat. What size tires are you shooting for?

Skyjacker springs and bilsteins are a great match

I'll look into that thanks. Not sure yet. I think 33s or 35s. It has some gross 33s on it at the moment and it's not lifted and I think it looks like trash. But I hope a lift would make it better. I'm still changing the rooms and tires yet. I'm most likely going with 33s for a bit better fuel economy than the 35s.

An OME 2.5 and 33"s is perfect.

I put HFS 4 inch springs on my '76 way back in 2004. Still flexes and rides nice to this day. Get Bilstein shocks though, the ones that come with the kit don't last long.

fotor_1636245778333.jpg

Bilsteins, 4" skyjackers and 1.5/2.5" extended shackles. I'm sure HFS is similar, some folks run those here as well. OME is fine, but the spring dimensions leave the shackles at a less than desirable angle. Having owned OME before, I wouldn't do it again, but they are nice springs.

if you are wanting 35's and only some trail use i'd think a skyjacker 4" kit will serve you well. Not sure you won't get tire interference on rear fenders though flexing on 35's. might need to adjust with bump stops and shackles if you want to keep the fenders clean.
OTOH used to be you'd hear SOA on flat springs is best 4"ish lift for a wheeling truck, but times changed and seems less people build their 40s that way.

Because they are terribly rough and all the components that come with them are garbage.

If you want a 4” lift get a heavy load OME.

I would argue that any crappy spring with Bilstein 5100’s ( would like to try FOX as well) is better than good springs with cheapy bundle shocks. Also be prepared to move shackle hangers to get decent shackle angles no matter what springs you end up with. A set of 2.5” springs would be adequate for 33’s and mild off road. Stick with load range C tires as well for more tire compliance and a better ride on and off road.

Last edited:
I ran OME springs for 10 years and switched to Skyjackers, far superior shackle angles and ride quality. That said I have Dobinsons on my 80 and just installed the Dobinsons IMS shocks about a month ago, and wow, unbelievable ride. I’m sure the Dobinsons IMS shocks on a 40 would be fantastic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom