Whats that sound? (Bonus, ARB Bumper crash) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
YouTube - ARB Bumper after crash

Video was mainly for the sound but took a look at my arb bumper while I was at it

What is that sound? And what do I need to do to fix it

Mainly happens when it is cold and my truck is parked at an angle, Goes away after engine has been warm for 20mins
Oil gauge is at 75%

93 FJ80 with 1FZ-??, 189k miles

==========
So this is what happened to my ARB bumper after a 10-15mph crash about a week after I bought the FJ80

Actually pretty disapointed how the bumper crumpled from the crash, the truck infront of me had almost no damage to its bumper althou the bumper did dent the passenger side rear quarter

I went to merge onto a 2 lane street and the person infront did not keep going on the 3rd/merge lane, my passenger screamed, I turned and saw a stopped truck infront me me and slammed breaks swerved and barley hit his rear passenger side bumper with my front drivers side bumper

It was either chevy or ford250 longbed
His rear bumper had very little damage

I could not drive away, my bumper was tweaked and turned into my wheel, got AAA-towed to someones house near by who had a plasma cutter and cut the 4-6" 'wing' on the arb bumper that had curled up into the wheel well

You can notice the top bar broke and curled, making the dent on the hood, not sure what broke the driver side light trim / fender

So I am assuming the bumper is not fixable, dont think I could straighten it out so will leave it like that till I can replace it.

I am torn weather to buy another ARB, I know alot of people love them and trust them. But at the speed I was going I thought it would have held up better even with the weight of a FJ80 so I am disappointed.

Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the crash

wow, that's pretty sobering...

Well...all those times people made fun of my damage multiplier...all I see is another damage multiplier with an ARB sticker on it!!!

that looks like it was an offset collision. not much frame or structural support behind the wings...i think any bumper would have sustained just as much damage. i dont see any top bar broken? i do see the dent in the hood though..

are you able to open the hood? you should be able pinpoint that noise once you poke your head in there...

few things to think about-

the Jaws of life uses a 2200lb ram-- your landcruiser at 5500+lbs moving at 15mph is like having a double-to-triple strength jaws of life ram operating on your front bumper.

the weakest point of that bumper and for that matter- any bumper made for the LC is the outer wings. Fortunately a far less critical area than the radiator/frame/engine area.

ARBs are commonly referred to as Roo-bars where they were designed. Kangaroos weigh between 40-200lbs.......the Chevy was probably over 4000lbs.

Had you not swerved to avoid a direct hit---instead of looking for a replacement bumper/fender/light...............you might be in the classifieds looking to drop another 5-7k on a used cruiser to replace your insurance-salvaged cruiser.

As nice and beefy as an ARB "seems"........its 120lbs of metal that was sandwiched between two 5000lb forces at speed at it weakest point.

Pop the hood mang.

Sounds like water pump to me. Like others said - pop the hood!

pattho -

Just using some quick math...at 10mph your bumper would have encountered over 16,000 foot-pounds of force at impact. I think you may have had some unrealistic expectations of your ARB bumper. This is a ton of force for a bumper...your lucky that it took the hit as well as it did. Did the noise only start after the accident?

Cheers.

- Mark

Given:

1. Dent in hood showing upper hoop of ARB twisting back and hitting hood
2. Extent of dmg to ARB from pic
3. Description of the accident

I theorize that you have a fan hitting the shroud or the radiator due to frame horn tweaking on the front driver side.

Looks to me like if you would have had a stock bumper the the other trucks bumper would have stopped inside your front wheel well. There is nothing but plastic and sheet metal on the corners in stock form. If I remember correctly ARB bumpers are desighned to deform to absorb impact and lessen the possibility of frame damage. A stronger bumper likely would have caused more expensive damage.
My 2c.

few things to think about-

the Jaws of life uses a 2200lb ram-- your landcruiser at 5500+lbs moving at 15mph is like having a double-to-triple strength jaws of life ram operating on your front bumper.

quote]

Depending on the brand of spreaders (Jaws of life) the tip spreading force in the the ten's of thousands of pounds. ie. Our smaller Lukas Spreader (German Version) is 56k spreading and 38k closing.

A newer mid range hurst tool has the following spec's.

"The enhanced power of the Defender provides a spreading force of up to 44,000 lbs. and a pulling force of up to 20,000 lbs. yet it weighs in at a light 48 lbs"

I guarantee as long as there's something to push against, a "Jaws of Life" can bend it back without even breaking a sweat. The key is finding something of equal or opposite strength to push against. It it won't bend, just snip it off with the cutter.

You have a lot more damage than you think. If you hit at an angle, that causes all sorts of fun. I'd be interested to hear what insurance says.

That right there is $6,400 without tearing it apart. Just happened on the 26th of january. She was going 25mph and a forrester pulled out in front of her.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I am amused to hear people saying that the ARB should have folded like a tin can when the stock bumper on the truck you hit suffered no damage when we hear about how the ARB will for sure save your life in a high speed wreck.

Now having said this, an offset hit is tough and there is no bumper for the 80 that is tied back into the frame from the side, so the strength of any 80 series bumper involves the frame box, particularly in the sense of tying the frame ears together with a beefy winch plate. You quite possibly would have been better off with a direct hit @ 15 mph.

Good luck :cheers:

It did pretty much what it was desinged to do, the stiffer the bumper, the more likely there will be frame instead of bumper damage. I would rather replace a bumper than a frame horn.

I have no doubt that, were this a damage multiplier and the damage were even somewhat similar, we'd be hearing a different story from members on the forum. That being said, I am surprised at just how "damage multiplier" the ARB was in this low-speed accident, even considering the point of impact.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

X2

I am amused to hear people saying that the ARB should have folded like a tin can when the stock bumper on the truck you hit suffered no damage when we hear about how the ARB will for sure save your life in a high speed wreck.

I would like to see the "stock bumper" on this pickup!

Now having said this, an offset hit is tough and there is no bumper for the 80 that is tied back into the frame from the side, so the strength of any 80 series bumper involves the frame box, particularly in the sense of tying the frame ears together with a beefy winch plate. You quite possibly would have been better off with a direct hit @ 15 mph.

Having had my little run in with a full size Dodge pickup with my ARB, I'm inclined to agree with this. I t-boned the Dodge when he pulled in front of me on ice/packed snow & hit him at approx. 5 - 10 MPH. I didn't hit any thing as solid as this "stock bumper", but judging from the impact that I experienced, I was expecting to see more damage to the ARB. I'll have to do a closer inspection to the PS wing. Surveying the bumper from underneath after the accident, it looked like the body clearance was unequal comparing DS to PS. I thought at the time maybe the whole bumper just shifted on its mounts from the impact. But other than that, the ARB had a scratch on the paint and one of my aftermarket driving lights suffered a broken bulb.

Good luck :cheers:

That was my experience.

I have look'ed around under the hood but can not find the sound
It was happening before the accident

Specifically on the bumper,
The top bar snapped at the joining part and did damage to the hood
That is the part I am very surprised about

Go buy a $5 stethoscope and start poking around.

It did pretty much what it was desinged to do, the stiffer the bumper, the more likely there will be frame instead of bumper damage. I would rather replace a bumper than a frame horn.

Either way, it shows the reality of the design - you may think you are bolting on tank armor, but unless the hit is relatively straight on and therefore taken by the heavily reinforced frame in the winch plate area, you are likely to get a lot of damage you weren't expecting.

You can't expect all that much from 1/8" wings that aren't extremely well triangulated. Many an ARB owner has been surprised when they cut open the wings to create more clearance at how light duty they are.

I think this is worth pointing out given the god-like status ascribed to ARB bumpers on this forum, particularly as a life saving device in a serious accident. As many times as I have seen written that ARB will save your life, it is worth noting that it may not save much of anything in an offset fender bender.

Hit those deer straight on people, hit 'em straight on :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom