whats that smell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
has anyone out there had this problem? ??? every once in a while when i start my cruiser i get this little puff of air in the passenger side compartment and it smells like, well you get the picture. any thoughts would be appreciated thanks :cheers:

SULFUR

Mine does it too...Origin is under the center console. I've heard others say the same but can't remember what the source was. :eek:

I was going to say "Junk's Momma",

But actually, I think it is the catalytic converter.

i had that prob but it was all the time it seemed my buddy left an egg roll under one of the seat...

cut the cat out this summer, oh i also cleaned the cruiser this summer any other ideas

[quote author=stretch link=board=1;threadid=6664;start=msg54314#msg54314 date=1066926485]
has anyone out there had this problem? ??? every once in a while when i start my cruiser i get this little puff of air in the passenger side compartment and it smells like, well you get the picture. any thoughts would be appreciated thanks :cheers:
[/quote]

dude......I have had the same thing happen a few time, I think it only happens if I have the AC on......but I have no clue what it is

John H

its from the breather under the dash that is hooked from the dist. cap . This will happen when the spark lights up the junk under the cap . If the VSV is bad on that other vacuum line that goes into the cap and sticks open the gas vapor from the carb backs up the tube and POP goes your cap on start up :eek:

[quote author=Koffer link=board=1;threadid=6664;start=msg54645#msg54645 date=1066964973]
its from the breather under the dash that is hooked from the dist. cap . This will happen when the spark lights up the junk under the cap . If the VSV is bad on that other vacuum line that goes into the cap and sticks open the gas vapor from the carb backs up the tube and POP goes your cap on start up :eek:
[/quote]

BINGO......we have a winner :cheers: I bet(heck I'm sure) thats it, I would never have thought of the breather! makes perfect sense:)

JOhn H

I'm cornfused ???

:D

thanks koffer that all makes perfect sense except for the part of putting a breather line from the dis to the cab :-\ of the cruiser oh well it is time for a tune up anyway.

p.s. MINNESOTA VIKINGS RULE!!!! :beer:

You guys are all on the wrong track--it's old fart gasses escaping from the seat foam when you sit down. It goes like this: you get in and sit down, gassses are forced out of the foam, and your wife/girlfriend in the passenger seat says ??? "Ewww! What's that smell?"

I'm half serious about this.

Not to Hijack this old thread but...

This post answered my "where's that smell coming from" question just perfect from a smell location aspect, however it wasn't until my cruiser started - not starting, that this smell became an issue. I was wondering if they are related.

I have had to replace two starters in the last 4 years, and as the most recent one began doing its very sluggish turn over (about 1 year ago), I checked and cleaned all the ground locations and that seemed to solve the problem...until now.

Now, especially in the mornings, it will barely turn over, to the point you think the battery is bad, you'll get the rotten egg smell, and then out of now where she'll fire up and run fine. The next time you turn her off you may or may not have the same experience, and I cannot seem to get a pattern to the problem such as weather temp or engine temp has anything to do with it. I have again cleaned all grounds but no improvement whatsoever. In all the other times the starer needed replaced I necver had the rotten egg smell. Any ideas?

vacu valve or vsv valve or one of those danged valves. pull each one off one at a time and try blowing through it both ways. one of them is plugged. they act like check valves, so you can blow through one direction, but not the other. when they plug up, they allow gas fumes into the dizzy cap where the fumes explode. the cap is probably vented into the cabin, which is why you're smelling it. replace it soon, cause at least one person has had their cap shatter from the "explosion"

Well I could understand the fume thing, but figured since my starer/starting problem was intermitent, that there was something other than a cloged check valve.

My FJ60 used to do this. As explained above, the distributor gets cool dry air from inside the
passenger compartment via a hose from the distributor to under the dash somewhere. I think
the idea is to keep the inside of the dizzy dry. Sometimes, when starting, the gases somewhere
in the system ignite. I don't where the sulfur comes in though.

There are a few threads on this in the FJ60 forum.

Last edited:
Solved!

Thanks guys... I feel really stupid now. I took it down to the parts store this weekend to have them do a free electricle test and low and behold it was the battery. As soon as he started the load test on the battery.... EGG SMELL! It was coming through the hole in my firewall where the fan motor goes. I have yet to put it back in since the repaint.

I had never heard of a bad battery giving off the sulfer egg smell, but everything is fine now. Thanks again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom