1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's that smell? (Subaru tech)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Jman, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Jman

Jman

Okay, the Forester started stinking this week--while we were away on vacation, of course. :rolleyes: Smelled like a bad diesel. Burning oil/rubber kind of smell. Car was driving fine and I didn't have time to do anything about it, so I drove back.

Tonight I found the source--a tear in the CV joint boot, joint was throwing grease around, onto exhaust/cats, which was cooking it pretty good.

It was raining on the drive up, and raining HARD on the drive down, so I'm pretty sure the CV got pretty wet, and wouldn't you know it, after I found the tear, I drove around with the windows open and heard an intermittant "click click click" that was audible even while coasting in neutral.

Soooooo, you think the joint is toast? Am I gonna need new axles?

Yeah, I know, take it to a Subaru board, TJDIV is about to lose his lunch with all this Sube talk. :rolleyes:

2. Koffer

Koffer

look around for a good aftermarket parts place and they can get the whole shaft for pretty cheap and keep you from them shafting you . ;)

3. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

These days, it's cheaper to simply have the entire shaft replaced at a shop (or yourself) vs just trying to do the joint. Also, if it hasn't happened yet, be advised Foresters eat rear wheel bearings. When yours are replaced, request they install the Legacy rear part - straight swap with higher spec.

DougM

4. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Sounds like the joint is bad.

Not too bad a job, really. I don't know about Subarus, but the axles can be gotten for pretty cheap on Volvo. You can often get remanufactured ones.

I helped a friend do his Volvo V70 AWD a couple weeks ago-- just drop the lower control arm and it comes right out. THe hard part sometimes is getting the end of the axle to pop out from the rotor and spindle. In my friends case, enough surface rust had formed making it difficult to remove from the hub. The answer was more power-- a couple good whacks with a heavy ball peen hammer did the trick.

Fred

5. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    You can replace the boot and drive it until it clicks. If it is still in good shape, it won't start clicking, if it lost too much grease and you didn't catch it early enough, it will start clicking.

If it needs to be replaced, it's easier to replace the entire axle assembly. I know, I replaced 3 on the left side and 2 on the right of my 1990 Legacy LS. The joint assembly is pretty complex and is easy to damage when assembling the unit. It's common practice to replace the axle. Most Kragen Auto Supply shops keep Subaru axles as an in stock item. I asked my buddy, the Subaru guru, why the CV's kept tearing, and he said that I needed to stop driving the car offroad like my Landcruiser. The fast articulation was tearing the boots and dirt/sand was getting in and eating the joints.

I stopped driving it like a Landcruiser and the problems stopped.....5 axles later.....:doh: Other than the minor axle issues, I loved that car. It was great. I'd happily buy another. Mine died around 300,000 miles of total abuse. If I had treated that car well, it would have gone twice that far. It was a dedicated surf rig used to run up and down hundreds of miles of curvy coastline. I drove it because gas was cheaper for it than the Cruiser.

6. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Welcome to the world of Subarus. Mine eats CV Boots about every 2 years. Take it to a good shop and have them look at them. You may be able to get away with new boots.

Oh and go here

http://ultimatesubaru.net/

7. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    oooooooohhhhhh that smell.............can't ya smell that smell......................the smell that surrounds youuuuuuuuuuuuuu......

Stunk
    Up
    Bad
    And
    Running
    Underpowered

But you're "Jman" so I hope you get it fixed.

8. Jman

Jman

You see the specs on the newer engines? :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

Thanks, guys. Haven't heard from the :princess: yet, so I assume she drove it to work okay, but it was clicking pretty bad last night. Anyway, I'm supposed to be driving it to Canada soon, so don't have much time to dick around. Sigh, maybe I'll call the stealership and see what they charge and just chalk it up to vacation expenses. It's a camping vacation, so the rest will be pretty cheap.

And Beerman, thanks for the link--I'm actually a registered user of that board, but had it bookmarked at work, couldn't find it last night since I've only posted like twice in the past year. Guess I'll start using that board a bit more frequently. :)

9. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    I believe there was some Subaru Tech advisory a couple of years ago about Subaru using a grease in the CVs which would heat up and cause the smell. My Subaru does it (2002 Outback Sedan) and my mother's Subaru does it (1998 Forester). Other than the smell, it doesn't affect the vehicle at all.

-H-

10. Jman

Jman

Found a dealer that quoted $255 for new axle, boot, including parts and labor and a beater loaner for the :princess: when she drops it off. Done deal. :D

:flamingo: :flamingo: :flamingo: