1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's that smell? (Computer help)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Jman, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Jman

Jman

It seems recently all my problems announce themselves first with a bad smell. Now it seems to be my computer. After a week's vacation, I come back and power up the computer, and it starts smelling likes stale dog pee. :eek: But sort of chemical, too--maybe robot dog pee. :D

Got a few errors messages during the first day, but no problems since then, but still, the fan is blowing out this bad smell. It's nasty. I have to type while leaning away from the keyboard.

Anyone have any clue? What's fried? It was pretty humid while we were gone--maybe something got corroded and shorted? :confused:

2. Jman

Jman

And no, I don't have a dog. . . .

3. RavenTai

RavenTai

open the case and look for insects, rodents, dust or other FOD

4. archie

archie

5. Koffer

Koffer

all I can say is dump your hard drive now while its still alive so when it goes tits up you have your backups

Smell= Bad news just like a clutch :D

6. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

7. Jman

Jman

I've got an external hard drive already hooked up, backing up each day, so no worries there. I'll open it up and look for dead rodents or scorch marks, and I guess I'll do it in a well-ventilated area . . . .

8. mabrodis

mabrodis

The smell isn't like a burning smell? That's the only smell I've ever had from a computer, and a burning smell is very bad BTW...

My guess would be any smell would be coming from your powersupply, there is not alot that would smell in there, some capicators could leak, especially if got overly hot, that would be some electrolyte fluid, not sure what that would smell like if anything, but it wouldn't be good and it would messup the capicators which typically would mean less power filtering (that type of capicator is used alot in power filtering like in the power supply of your computer to switch at probably 200Khz but give out a nice smooth voltage), which could be bad things for a motherboard. There are caps on the motherboard also, and I have seen those leak before, again when overheated or just with age, odd it would happen while you're gone though when possibly the computer is doing less than when you're at home...did you turn the a/c off in the house while you were gone, so the inside temp of the house could have been alot higher than normal?

That's all I got..pop it open and take a looksee, try to seperate the powersupply from the motherboard to figure out where the smell is coming from...

9. paulj

paulj

Check the main cooling fan blades for dust.

10. Rugster

Rugster

Here is your problem..

[​IMG]

11. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    It isn't an Apple laptop is it? I heard the LiIon batteries for their laptops built in the last 6 months were recalled for spontaneous combustion!

But it sounds like dust bunnies burning, maybe. Get some of that canned air and blow it out.

12. Jman

Jman

Rugster, that's hysterical! My wife was traumatized as a child when she found her gerbil hanging from an extention cord with a smile frozen on his face (lips burnt off), so I'll have to be careful in checking, but we have had a problem with mice over the past week or so.

13. paulj

paulj

Oh! So that's why PCs have squirrel cages inside of 'em.

14. Rugster

Rugster

[​IMG]

15. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
  16. swank60

swank60

Ever think it may not be the car, computer, etc. and that YOU are the source of the bad smells?

17. Jman

Jman

Thanks, fawker! :flipoff2: Guess I need a shower. :D

Actually, wife turned on the AC today, I came home late and lo and behold, smell is totally gone.

So, who knows. It wasn't a freaking mouse, that's all I know, since it all checks out externally.