What's stuck in my thermostat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought my tstat from SOR was toast so I bought I OEM one to replace it with. I took the SOR one out and found a small rubber ring stuck in it. SOR tstat is fine, but put the OEM one in anyway. The OEM tstat had no such rubber ring, is it possible the rung came of the SOR one? I didn't see the SOR one before it went in during the rebuild. Engine is running great, but I am still a little concerned about where the ring came from.
Any ideas?
DSC00031.JPG
DSC00032.JPG
DSC00033.JPG

It looks like a PCV valve fitting...........but I might be wrong. I wouldn't be too concerned since it came out and it isn't in little pieces.

It looks like one of the two gaskets that the t-stat has. Maybe it somehow wasn't right and became dislodged.
ERICH

ERICH said:
It looks like one of the two gaskets that the t-stat has. Maybe it somehow wasn't right and became dislodged.
ERICH
If its a 2F engine like my 40 that would be my guess. Mine always ran cold, when I replaced the TS it looked exactly like the picture. I installed the ne TS with bothe gaskets and didn't have any more trouble.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I don't need to worry.

Actually it sounds like should you get a new gasket for it. Only a couple bucks at most and it was designed to be there. :)

That sure looks like the top o-ring like gasket that's supposed to be there. I don't remember if, when it's left out, you don't get heat or it don't stay cool though... Order of assembly into the lower t-stat housing is t-stat, standard paper gasket, o-ring gasket on top of t-stat then the upper housing and bolts to finish the job.

Nick

Looks like the top gasket for the Tstat to me too. How it got to that location I have no idea. Maybe it was stuffed into the Tstat that way during shipping and was overlooked during installation?
If you don't install the top gasket, too much coolant can bypass you Tstat and it takes much longer for the engine to reach operating temp. It may never reach full temp and in cold weather you get pitiful heater output.

Mark...

my guess was the upper gasket............but it looks much to small for that.........don't ya all think?

Maybe. It's hard to tell from the picture. And the way it is mangled and folded makes it more so. But maybe.

But I can't think of anything else it could be, or why anything else would be in there..

Mark...

Looking at the pictures agin, I'll revise my opinion. It does look to be to small to the top gasket.And it looks like id definitely did not start out as a flat cross section.

I give up.???

It's something that never should have been in the cooling system. I don't see any possibility of it getting through the water pump so it had to have been in the head, block or Tstat housng upon assembly.

Mark...

Didn't see a gasket like that on the new OEM thermostat when I compared it to the SOR one pictured, and that is what bothered me. Thought it might be somthing from inside the system, but from those of you who know, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Thanks again for the help. I'm learning a ton from you all. It's likely I will never take my 83 to a mechanic again for repairs, unless it's real major--my shop is a dirt driveway. Regardless, I've become more confident that I can work on my rig.
New camera coming soon, making it easier to post more pics. Soon to replace power steering pump, and saving for a suspension upgrade, then custom bumpers, etc., etc., etc.....

Ryan S. said:
Didn't see a gasket like that on the new OEM thermostat when I compared it to the SOR one pictured, and that is what bothered me. Thought it might be somthing from inside the system, but from those of you who know, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Thanks again for the help. I'm learning a ton from you all. It's likely I will never take my 83 to a mechanic again for repairs, unless it's real major--my shop is a dirt driveway. Regardless, I've become more confident that I can work on my rig.
New camera coming soon, making it easier to post more pics. Soon to replace power steering pump, and saving for a suspension upgrade, then custom bumpers, etc., etc., etc.....

That's the way to do it. All of us always go over the truck with a fine tooth comb after a repair is made by a shop, so you might as well just do it yourself and not have to waste time double-checking someone else's work. Plus you get the satisfaction of learning how things work for the second time around.

here is apic of the upper gasket that was on my fj62, it got buggered up on the install(was it me? ;) and ended up mangled.

80917036.jpg

to me yours looks like a firewall gromet or similar.........maybe someone had something in thier shirt pocket and it fell out when they put the stat in? I know..........thats a reach ;)

Not too much of a reach though. Two different people worked on the rebuild--none of which were me. Part of the reason I'm going to do more work on my own. At this point, I just consider myself lucky that something didn't get FUBAR'ed in the motor.
Curious about what it is though, I'll email the pics to the guy that did the install of the motor. Maybe it's that gasket he thought he set on the bench, but mysteriously disappeared. Either way, it will be fun to give him hard time about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom