What's my 80 worth after the damage has been done? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesn't redline landcruisers offer a fj40's style body to place one the 80 chassis? I don't know the cost but if you put that on your 80 and you get to keep your truck. Just hoping you get to keep it alive and offering ideas.

Rent a storage space. Pull all of your good parts and store them until you can find another 80.
I thought about that but my 80 days are done, at least for now. I really miss my 40 and have a hankerin to build one to be a nice wheeler. Especially now that I have my favorite tow rig

I thought about that but my 80 days are done, at least for now. I really miss my 40 and have a hankerin to build one to be a nice wheeler. Especially now that I have my favorite tow rig
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get the 80 bug again.

In that case, I'd just part it with the big pieces and sell the rest as a low mileage, wrecked roller.

Price it right and it'll move quickly.

Great idea but I don't have the space to keep it. I would for sure hold onto it and work on it slowly if I could. Our new house, while bigger in square feet is a downgrade in garage and driveway space.
Whaaaaaat??? :eek:

If the doors leak water and don't seal, and the a pillar is too damaged for a windshield, I would say it's worth about 4k. If the a pillar isn't too bent for a windshield, and the doors don't leak-its just body damage and who cares(at least if someone wants to buy a 80 to wheel and scratch up) probably worth closer to 10k then.

If the doors leak water and don't seal, and the a pillar is too damaged for a windshield, I would say it's worth about 4k. If the a pillar isn't too bent for a windshield, and the doors don't leak-its just body damage and who cares(at least if someone wants to buy a 80 to wheel and scratch up) probably worth closer to 10k then.
The doors seal mostly but the sunroof is toast. I never used it anyway but it'd have to be addressed one way or another.

Pull the major mods & sell individually, nobody will want the whole mod package as is for as much as priced seperate, so you'd have to discount vs. parts individually=easy market.

You flopped a nice 80 that sadly now is only worth what a powertrain (& mods, either indiv or as a pkg) is worth, since you sound like it is rocked even @ the A-pillar & roof structure for the moonroof.

So for most it's a low miled truggy/bobbed project if you sell the mods prior - truggy projects are a niche market (aka cheap unless you hold out)

Sell mods - ???
Sell 80 stripped of mods - ???

-or-

If you don't have the resources to part it, you just need to "rip off the band-aid", post a Ebay auction & see if you make whatever reserve you have in mind.
Or post is here.

Or if you really want, buy a high-miles, no records -type 80 with a good body & transfer all your stuff over.

Other than that, it's stuff that obstructs you from focus on your next 4wd or other things you have interest in.
You bought a new house & sounds like you rather focus on that, so do that.

You're delaying the pain being indecisive - that's my POV.

All good points @LINUS. It's not so much being indecisive but rather a lack of time to be able to focus on what my options are. Maybe a bit of not wanting to face the inevitable too. Ive had a fair bit of interest via pm and texts so getting it sold isn't a huge concern. I'll set a fair price so the next person can feel like it was a fair deal and can make a buck or two. I'm not looking to recoup what I have into it (or even 1/2) just trying to stop the hemorrhage. I'll have a decision soon I hope.

After carefully looking at the photos, it doesn't appear to be completely demolished.

I am guessing you have about $20K worth of after markeet parts/labor in it at minimum. I'd think carefully about just trashing your investment. You will not get close to what you have in it if you sell it to someone and you will give up an awesome vehicle.

If you don't mind it not looking "perfect", I'd pull the interior and see how straight you can get it. If you can bend things back straight enough to open the passenger side doors and get a new windshield to fit you still have a nice wheeler there. Replace the roof rack, knock the dent out of the rear quarter panel, bend the front fender back out so you can get the hood back down and you should be good to go. I'd get a body shop to give you an estimate on using their tools to bend things back to an "acceptable" level and then replace the door seals to make sure it doesn't leak.

I know a lot of people will laugh at this proposal but if you plan to wheel it hard, why would it matter if it had some bent metal? I have many of the same mods / additions you have so I am keenly aware of the level of investment you have made. If this was my rig I'd figure out an economical way to acceptably repair it and and continue to wheel it. At the bare minimum, you can buy a replacement in stock form and transfer all of your investments into that truck.

please dont roll a 40 or 45 next :D

i think youve gotten a good idea so far. Im in agreement with I wouldnt pay more than 3-4k for a variety of possible build/fix plans. However that may not suit you so as mentioned pull the big ticket items and sell individually, then move the carcass to someone wanting drivetrain/chasis at fair price.

rear bumper 1200
front bumper and winch 800
sliders 400
wheels/tires 600
drawers 250
rollling chasis 2000

I agree with Jason. It's a shame, but value wise I think you'd be fortunate to get $2500 for it whole. If someone wants an 80 to chop up, they aren't going to pay much for it, and an 80 that leaks is no bueno. Any buyer will need a garage space and a tow rig and the budget to fix what's there.

While you may lack the time to part it out, you could part the main high value parts like bumpers, winch and wheels/tires in a weekend. Sell the remainder for $1500 and walk away.

But if you do part it, I'll take the rear axle.

vultures :hillbilly:

I'd take spot # whatever for the slee skid plate...if the other vultures fly off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom