What’s leaking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing my diff fluids and when I took off the skid plates I noticed some fluid leaks front the engine bay. Any idea what is leaking and from where?

Passenger side:
E5C8CE18-4C26-4C43-B85D-A69D1BC480E2.jpeg

6EE81F06-C3C5-4ADD-A44A-136F0EBFC32C.jpeg

Driver side:

FB7A3BF4-0ED5-4D49-BE9E-9E8087104F30.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s hard to tell but it appears there is fluid coming from the bottom of the power steering pump.

Power steering, likely from pump or one of the hoses to/from reservoir.

Hose to the res. Very common everyone thinks their res is cracked. Drain cut 1/2” off each hose and use work clamps.

Very few things leak on 100's. Power Steering Pump Seals go eventually (as others have indicated). The only other common leak is the valve cover gaskets - take a paper towel and "dab" it along the underside of the bottom seal to see where fresh oil shows up.

Some replace the gaskets, some take an 1/4" IN-LBS torque wrench at it and hit all of them with a bit more pressure.

Update. Took it back to the Toyota dealer we bought it from as we still have two weeks left on our 2-month warranty. They are replacing power steering pump and hoses.
That’s very nice of them!

We’ve been quite pleased with that 2-month warranty! Don’t see that often on a 14-yr old vehicle! I bet they weren’t expecting to see it back in within the 2 months (twIce actually as we got a muffler, too.).

if you are lucky the alternator will go within the warranty period. because the PS fluid leaked down into the windings, its lifespan is greatly reduced.

Altenator was replaced about 80k ago (at 121k). Let’s hope it survives ok without issue ... or kicks the bucket in the next two weeks!

Am I just seeing things or is my PS steering rack boot leaking? Or is it just older/cleaner than DS?

passenger side:
DF584D34-B879-4FDC-9588-29A6DD5BBD46.jpeg

drivers side:
D5294C4C-0A48-4B1D-B1CE-785717CA7844.jpeg

It doesn't look like its leaking to me - they might have spilled a bit of power steering fluid when they installed your new pump making it look that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom