Whats it worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I need some help. I have been looking at a 1981 FJ40 and need to know what you guys think it might be worth and also have some questions about it. The truck has a Fiberglass tub, hood and fenders. It has the stock drivetrain w/ the 2F having approx 120,000 miles on it. New rims and 32" tires. Paint and interior look nice. Now for the questions, supposedly it is a '81 but the front passenger sits atop the gas tank, is this common with a new tub? If not any reasons somebody might do this? I know its kinda hard to guess what it might be worth without seeing it but just wondering if anybody has any idea what it should be worth?(I'll let you know what he is asking after I get some replys) ;)

maybe 3-4,000 if its all in good shape?
id be a little hesitant to buy one with a fiberglass tub just cause i like the steel, you can hammer it out. the fiberglass gets hit and going to have a lot more damage.
the 80's are usually a little more because of the disk brakes and some have power steering as option. Id check it out a little more make sure it has front disks and everything. id ask the owner about why he put the gas tank there as its not the stock location for an 81. Might want to find out what kind of tank it is, stock or otherwise. Also, why did he replace the tub? rust? want to make sure the frames in good shape if the tub rusted out.

Definitely check the frame and underneath. Axles leaking?, need a clutch, does it have a/c, ps, pb? I would think it would be worth more depending on these things. The absolute reality is it's only worth what you're willing to pay.

i paid $1700 for my 81 with no power steering and some minor rust to the stock tub. but it had 220,000 miles on the stock 2f :eek:
fiberglass holds up better than one thinks. ;)

OEM A/C and PS would definatly up the value, especially if in working order. Unless something has been retrofitted, a 81 should have PB with front disks. Something esle to check out to make sure nothing has been changed. Keep in mind that an '81 should have 3.70's in the pumpkins. Great if you are going to be highway and street driving, and not necessarily so good if this is a trail truck with monster tires. Ask what fiberglass tub he has, how old, and then ask around about those particular fiberglass tubs.

1979 and later have an under tub gas tank even on fiberglass tub replacements. Tub is 100% NOT a late model style. Deduct huge points for a Mallote tub, OK if Gozzard. a 1981 will have: one square U bolt on pass side front axle, as with all 1979 + only have 6 body to frame bolts (vs 12 for 1978 and earlier), gas tank as noted, 1981's will have 999,999 odometer on speedo, different steering wheel than 1980 and earlier, a split type -case (looks like same FJ60), etc etc.

Fiberglass hood fenders (one piece thing?) are garbage.

Basically, it has lost the 1981+ value by the non steel OE tub and fender/hood group so you might get the driveline (same as FJ60). If so and it's nice maybe $3,000 for a good truck, certainly not anywhere near what a real 1981 would bring ($6,000-$12,000).

for what its worth those late model 40's are much more pleasent on road if you dont plan on doing an extreme amount of wheeling. i have an 82 fj40. just bought it last year. it does have a lift, winch, softop, hardtop, interior was repainted and the exterior is in need of paint. i had to put new fenders and new quarters on it...paid 7k...no ps or ac...dont forget location can make a difference in price too. 40's are kinda rare here in Va maybe that is what upped my price..

what Rick said.........and late model fj40's ROCK :D

[quote author=rick_d link=board=1;threadid=6457;start=msg52316#msg52316 date=1066502843]
1979 and later have an under tub gas tank even on fiberglass tub replacements. Tub is 100% NOT a late model style. Deduct huge points for a Mallote tub, OK if Gozzard. a 1981 will have: one square U bolt on pass side front axle, as with all 1979 + only have 6 body to frame bolts (vs 12 for 1978 and earlier), gas tank as noted, 1981's will have 999,999 odometer on speedo, different steering wheel than 1980 and earlier, a split type -case (looks like same FJ60), etc etc.

Fiberglass hood fenders (one piece thing?) are garbage.

Basically, it has lost the 1981+ value by the non steel OE tub and fender/hood group so you might get the driveline (same as FJ60). If so and it's nice maybe $3,000 for a good truck, certainly not anywhere near what a real 1981 would bring ($6,000-$12,000).
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom