Whats it Worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:cheers:Well I've reached a point in my life that I have come divided in what I want to do with my Cruiser. I'm 20 years old and a full time engineering student in college. I have fourwheeled all my life and Im ready to start rockcrawling but I need a rig to do it in.
1. My first thought was to build up my crusier but dont have that kind of money right now or time.
2. I feel like my cruiser is in way to good of shape to hack it up and then go bouncing if off of rocks
So my final conclusion as of right now is to get rid of it and then buy one on down the road.

So my question is how much could I get out of it and I know its hard to tell with out seeing it but Ill try to explain as best I can.

its a 1976 fj40 the color is the baby blue lookin color all stock except for a 4" old man emu lift and 33x12.50xr15 mud tires and chrome wheels

Has around 150k miles on it new clutch, bearing, brakes, etc

runs strong doesnt burn very much oil at all

The inside is clean has new seat and a locking console in it.

But the ouside is one of my other questions yes it has a little bit of rust in the normal spots that they get rust and the paints not to bad but it could use a paint job.

Would it be worth my money to fix the rust my self and get it painted or would I end up lossing money?

I know this doesnt explain it very well and Ill try to get som pics of it but any help would be greatly appricaited

Howdy! Personally, I would not "trash" a clean FJ40 to build a rock buggy. The technology is so advanced nowdays that there would be nearly nothing left of the original rig to create what you want to build up, especially considering your career path. Either get a Sammy, or a solid axle minitruck, or start from scratch and create your dream machine. Take care of the 40 first, or sell it, and then build your rock rig. John

without seeing more detailed pictures the value is hard to estimate.
I'd recommend and have sold two of my cruisers on ebay.
I took lots of pictures and had to post one of them twice before it sold but I got exactly what I asked.
Bottom line I believe is once you decide what you're willing to take, set your reserve price and let the market speak for itself. You can look on ebay and see what vehicles like yours are generally going for and of course folks will ask you tons of questions. If you don't want to use ebay you could at least see what folks are paying for them and then set a realistic classified price on cruiser sites.
Good luck.

I agree with inkpot......to few of them around to chop up. Also wouldn't start any restoration unless you went all the way with it to the showroom floor condition. You're close to Texas. Check with Cool Cruisers near Austin. They might be interested and might offer you a fair price.

$37.50 and you deliver it.

Seriously, no one is going to be able to give you a meaningful amount based on the information you have or have not provided. Why don't you post up many detailed pictures? Take them with the truck clean, in good light, list the mods - what you or previous owners have done. Remember too that mods may decrease the value. Show the good and the bad.

Personally, when I read statements like "it doesn't burn very much oil" it sets an opinion that makes every aspect of a vehicle subject to suspicion. Something little to a seller is usually something major to a potential buyer.

Last edited:
When you decide what you want for it, let me know. If you are interested we may be able to do a partial trade with a little cash on my part. I have several 1st gen toyota trucks along with an 85 4Runner, any of which would make a great start to your rockcrawler project. I also have a set of full width axles to go with it.

lets see some pics!

:doh:Well Ive got some pictures and Ill take somemore tommorow but this is going to sound really dumb but I can figure out how to add them to the thread it says there to big?

:doh:Well Ive got some pictures and Ill take somemore tommorow but this is going to sound really dumb but I can figure out how to add them to the thread it says there to big?

must be a civil engineer :D

40 value

Once you figure out how to downsize your pics lets see some of the doors, the door hinges, the wheel wells, inside the engine block, the floorboards, the tail gate areas both closed and open and don't forget around the closures of the hardtop where it meets the tub.

What work have you done, how many owners, what kind of records, etc....

Need I say more??? :cool:

If the car has been in Arizona most of the time, it may be in pretty good shape and the value could be better than average.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom