What's it Worth? Snowplow on '79 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

davework

Cruiser Hardware: OverlandMetric.com
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.overlandmetric.com
I just purchased a 79 FJ40 that came with a snowplow. Anyone have any idea what it may be worth to someone who'd actually use it?

According to the label, it is a Western Isarmatic Mark III-a and has a 6'6" Timpte Plow.

It can be removed and reinstalled fairly easily it appears. In great condition, works well, no rust.

I'd like to keep it, but won't use it very much, and may rather spend the $$ on other things. Just have no idea what these can demand on the used market.

Thanks for the help.
IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0030.jpg

Last edited:
$350 for the next month, then free by the summer. Best to try and move it now if you have ambitions.

Did you buy that truck from the tool that took out the 4sp in favor of a 3 speed? Looks like a decent truck otherwise. If the plow fits other applications I would think its worth $3-400 bux.

Yup, actually my wife bought it for me, so I didn't have much say in the matter!

I was a little confused when I first tried to move it since there is no ball on the shifter, it went backwards in what was supposed to be first gear. It is a nice truck otherwise and I figure I can get a 4 speed pretty cheaply somewhere for a rebuild/replace.

Looks like a power angle plow which may bring a bit more than anticipated. I have a 63 patrol I plow with and the short wheel base works great. If you have any need to plow, I'd hang on to it. If not, clean the plow, advertise it for $600 or so and see what happens. You still have about 2 months of snow by my estimates.

Tripper

Did you buy that truck from the tool that took out the 4sp in favor of a 3 speed? Looks like a decent truck otherwise. If the plow fits other applications I would think its worth $3-400 bux.

if he was just using it to plow, the 3 speed is nicer, just shift up and down, no down and over.

Thanks Tripper,

It is a power angle, if that means it pivots horizontally via the hydraulics as well. I am leaning towards hanging onto for a year and seeing how much I use it this winter.

Hmmm....I would think more than what these guys are saying. I plow with a Meyer (I'm in the moutains of So Cal) and I've seen plows similar to that offered in the $1000 range (pump, hoop, blade, lights, mounts, etc) for everything. It'll depend on condition, though.....

I admit I know very little about plow set ups for an FJ40. My price of $350 was based on one posted locally on craigslist, by a mud member named vtgreg. He could have had a less advanced set up than yours. Best to price around and not rely on fools like me.

Is the plow sub-frame welded to the cruiser or what?

Yes, kind of, 2 brackets are welded to the frame rails and then pinned (with a bolt) to the support for the plow. The lights and pump are bolted to the front frame.

I admit I know very little about plow set ups for an FJ40. My price of $350 was based on one posted locally on craigslist, by a mud member named vtgreg. He could have had a less advanced set up than yours. Best to price around and not rely on fools like me.

I sold a 6 1/2' manual angle-adjust plow setup last Fall for $350. Couldn't believe it took me 2 months to sell a plow in the Fall in VT; I didn't think I was asking a ton of money for it. I think the kicker is that these are set up for what is basically a niche vehicle and converting them to fit something else can get spendy. (At least that's what a buddy of mine who knows more about plows than I do tells me.)

I am very seriously interested. I actually want a plow to convert for use on the loader assembly on my tractor. But finding one has been difficult. Truthfully, I have seen the prices for similar settups all over the place. Biggest drawback is that you do not have mounts for normal vehicles like a pickup or something, and that will make it harder to sell. Personally I was hoping to get a power angle blade for pretty cheap, but at the same time I have seen them priced a little more than I wanted to pay.

I'd be more than willing to buy from a mudder though, even if you are a few hundred miles away. I will be coming over to Denver area in a couple of weeks, could maybe pick it up then. Or you can just hold on to it for a bit. I'm in no hurry, this is a project that can't happen until summer anyways. Let me know if still want to sell. I'll check that a 6'6" blade would be long enough for me.

Sounds like you have everything in order. You might want to swing over to the following site and see if you can get more info.

http://www.plowsite.com/index.php

I'm in Northeast Pennsylvania and picked up my manual angle plow with my 1st Patrol for $100. It works great and the only time I have to angle is when we get a heavy, wet snow. I also picked up a Meyer unit with my 2nd Patrol but I only paid $350.0 for the whole vehicle. Your plow appears to be in better shape and more modern than mine are. I contemplated making a power angle on my current plow but I really don't need it. Like I mentioned before, if you have any use for a plow and don't mind keeping the mount installed, hang onto as you probably will never be able to replace it for the kind of money you'll get.

Tripper

More pics of the setup--especially where it connects to the frame please.

If MoCoNative doesn't take it--I might be willing to work a trade for a low mile H42 or something. No hurries on this end either.

Plows are fun! I have been kicking around the idea of setting up my HJ-45 for one, but I was looking at a Myers (what can I say--I like the yellow). We've got the same plow on one of our Power Wagons and it's a great unit.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom