What's it worth...'74 FJ40 with Chevy 350 TBI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know you guys love these questions....

-South FL rig.
-1974, with ~ 94 Chevy TBI 350 from a Chevy 1500 P/U truck.
-pretty stock, but does have a 2" body lift, 33's BFGs, OME shocks, and a squirelly hood opening mod??
-a little rust in front of the tub, O/W looks really clean
-underside looks great. no rust
-it's been repainted, but paint looks good
-owner has done a ton of work on the interior which is really nice.
-everything works
-no leaks
-Birfs look great
-4 speed stock tranny

He wants $10,500 for it.

I don't want a project truck and I'm not going to be wheeling it like crazy. I basically want something I can enjoy for a few years without a ton work. I had a FJ60 with a 2F, so I'm familiar with that engine. I'm a little worried about a 350, but after talking with the guy, he said PO had it done in Kansas by a reputable garage.

It seems a little high to me. But, I drove 400 miles a few weeks ago to look at a LJ70, and turned around and went home. So, I'm not itching to get this rig, but wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks.

ofwork.
00z0z_fYAjhxMDGYK_600x450.jpg

00X0X_lSImcj9jqXK_600x450.jpg

00S0S_lobbMunSIml_600x450.jpg

The bezel is upside down.

The squirrely opening hood mod is because it has a fiberglass one-piece hood/fender/bib setup.

I would always question what is under the diamond plate. It's usually rust.

Hi all,

This rig worth what the seller can get for it. :meh:

On 40 Series, the condition of the body and frame are the main determiners of price, IMO. I'd crawl around underneath with a flash light, looking in nooks and crannies. I'd go around the body tub with a magnet (looking for bondo.)

If the TBI SBC runs idles and runs good, I'd almost say say it is a plus. If it is still running front drum brakes that is a negative in my book.

It really depends upon how much you like the rig.

Good luck!

Alan

Thanks. It does have Front disk brakes. I walked away from the lj70 because of bondo and spray over rust underneath. Jeff

I agree that it is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. If it is what you are looking for hen go r it. It is a highly modified rig for sure and usually that takes away from the value somewhat, hoever if you would be making those same mods yourself then it is a plus instead. The only detractors are the mods the PO made that you do not like. Your getting a rig that basically has no front sheetmetal at all. The windshield appears right but not the tub etc...

I agree that it is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. If it is what you are looking for hen go r it. It is a highly modified rig for sure and usually that takes away from the value somewhat, hoever if you would be making those same mods yourself then it is a plus instead. The only detractors are the mods the PO made that you do not like. Your getting a rig that basically has no front sheetmetal at all. The windshield appears right but not the tub etc...
BTW here is his craigslist ad. http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4786093516.html

Its alright. The tires look really old. If you don't mind the front clip. The front bumper has gotta go, needs bigger tires for the lift it has. I know of a nice one here in Colorado thats more original if your interested. Anyway I would say 8-9k. 10 is a little high. See if you can get 7 for it though to start your bargaining.:meh:

somebody will pay it i.e. a 350 is bulletproof (parts are plentiful, its lighter and has more juice) ... personally I'm a bit of a traditionalist ... for example, the signal lights belong on the fenders and OEM bumpers ... I'd be a little concerned about the tread plate ... that "little bit of rust" is a bit of an issue and, may be a sign that the tub channel underneath that runs from side to side just behind the seats is starting to rot ...

look some more, I see alot that is questionable, you can get a nice unrestored truck that is in better shape for 10k, you may have to go out west but it will be worth it. shipping a truck isn't that expensive compared to fixing rust... looking at the pix that has rust, and the diamond plate is hiding alot of stuff, ( and the paint job is cheep they taped and sprayed everything to cover stuff up.. you are in Florida and cruisers rust, most of the ones I have seen from the south and east need alot of metal work, look real hard at the rear sill and the floors, that spot under the gas filler will have to be cut out and welded to be fixed properly.. I am willing to bet the diamond plate is covering bubbles and holes in the body, the cage is a stock one with add on bars, the tbi chevy is nice but costs alot less than building a good 2f, that motor out of a yard out here is about 250$, and the fiberglass front end is not the way to go unless you are building a sand rail.

Not trying to be a downer but too many people are getting into flipping cruisers and doing really shotty work.. trying to make a buck... you can do alot better for 10k...

When you are a seller it is worth what someone is willing to pay. But that is not true as a buyer. If I am willing to pay 20K for it, it is not worth 20k and I likely will never ever be able to sell it for that. Worth it to you is not the same as the worth of the truck.

I say unequivocally No!

My first FJ40 had a one-piece fiberglass tilt front end. IIRC is was a Malotte brand and it was not good at all.

If (and it's a big "if") the rest of the vehicle were exceptional I'd consider it, but I'd figure out what it would cost to go back to a stock front end in terms of hood, aprons, fenders and bib and factor that into the equation.

But this rig is not exceptional, nor is the price reasonable based upon condition.

I wouldn't even consider one with a fiberglass front end.

To me, other negatives include the body lift, which implies the drivetrain is installed too high. The front end is higher than the rear end. That rust spot makes the whole paint job suspect. The roll cage design blocks foot access to the floor. The original brake booster is going to give out soon. The Optima Red Top is going to give out soon. I'm surprised it starts. Diamond plate...

If it was offered on my street for $5k, I'd pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom