What's it cost to do a spring-over? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about doing a spring-over on my 1982. The stock springs are pretty shot. They're just flat. So what would the cost be to re-arch my springs and do a spring-over? I should say have done by a Cruiser shop, as I don't have the knowledge, space, or time to do it myself.

ive got a guy in irving that will do it for pretty cheep. im not sure how cheep...ill have to check with him. id suggest getting new springs though. E-mail me if you want me to get a price

Having it done right at a good shop would likely be around $3k, or a bit more. I agree that new springs would be a better bet than rearched stockers. A lot depends on what you want and what you want to do with it. An SOA wagon is badass, but you loose some of the daily driver convienience. To really work well, you should consider some type of deep gear reduction like a Toybox, which of course will not be cheap.

Everyone that reads this question will always say, "It depends."

If you slap some perches on top of the axle, bolt it up, bend your steering and call it a day, then it won't cost much.

Have a shop do all the work correctly (with cut and turn, drivelines, hi-steer, etc.) then it will be like Drew already said......$3k or more.

go to champion spring in Ft Worth. they wont re-arch your existing springs but will make you new ones. its 350 p/axel. it wont be the best set up...but its more than likely the cheepest way to get some lift

Whats a toybox?

Chicago

AHHHH!
I just realized that I want one of THOSE too.
The low range on my 62 just isnt any where NEAE low enough...Im constantly on the breaks on down hills, and I fear for them.
Its a pricy bastard though isnt it.
Thanks for the link

Chicago

Can you do any of the labor yourself? In parts, it can range completely depending on the parts you buy, but labor is the real kicker.

Contact Mudrak. That guys really knows his stuff. a SOA done right will not hurt your daily driver status.

chicago said:
Whats a toybox?

Chicago

It's a great modification, especially in conjunction with a low SOA....the "Stupid Low" (4LO-LO) is the bomb!
shifters from above (small).jpg

Is that an H55f and the toy box. I hope my set up will look that clean.

Does the $1500 dollar price include having the axle cut and turned or doing that at home too. Who would you contact for to do something like that. Or is it something to be done at home.:cheers:

Proffit's Cruisers can supply you with the cut and turn axle. Seems I paid $400. Axle is exchange.

I can't see spending $1500. Spring perches are what, $40 a for two pair? U-bolts about $60 for both axles. Shackle reversal stuff maybe $60. Prices are guesses off the top of my head. Proffit's can supply it all. Or, you can get Dodge spring perches pretty cheap ($13/pr). High steer is about $400. Ok, if you buy a welder you will hit the $1500 mark.

Bottom line is if you can do the work yourself you will save some major pesos.

Not to hijack the maglightmount thread, but...
Why does everyone automatically think you need new, or rearched, springs for an SOA? Why won't the old springs work? Am I wrong in thinking that a little less arch is not necessarily a bad thing? That older, flatter springs are flexier?
Or is this just a 60s thing?
gatekeeper.jpg

i'm with pighead i did it with my 55 and it worked great, now im moving on to a 60 soa and the flatter the better flex just use a trac-bar for that axle wrap

it adds up pretty quick. My point is to say that it is not something you should do because its cheaper than a good SUA lift... It is labor intensive and the big thing is it takes a lot of work to get it right. Also, basically it is big and there is no way around this, it will completely change the look, feel, and drivability of your truck from something decent for the road to a big off road vehicle. Of course it can hang on the road just fine but there is something to said for those changes unfortunately. So foof for thought...

So, here are some cost breakdowns...

$400 hi steer kit
$200 for cheap shocks, $400-500 for good shocks
$30 Ford shock towers
$50-100 brake lines
$30 perches
If its a 60, you'll need front shock tabs... $20-30?
$100 add-a-leafs (mine were $60 a pair and I run two pair in the back, so I am $180 into add a leafs.
$20 new brake lines on the axles if required,
$30 misc parts like bolts for new shock mounts, any steel required.
$100 front axle rebuild kit
$60 ubolts
$50 new spring bushing kit (you are there so you might as well replace them)

Total here is about $1100 with cheap shocks, $1350-$1450 for good shocks...

Then there is the fab time. The cut and turn, welding the spring perches, grinding, etc... Then install time, probably a few days at least...

Then there are:
Tires (probably need new ones I suppose). Then for the larger tires you need gearing, and whats the point of a SOA and bigger tires without lockers. So it all adds up pretty quick IMO...

And...The original poster said he didn't have the time, space or know how to do it himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom