What's in YOUR Chuckwagon? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Call it what you will, Field Kitchen, Kitchen, Chuckwagon or Feed me Seymore! Anytime we are out on the tracks meals are planned. The majority of threads and posts focus on the mechanical aspects of our journeys, how big of a tire can I run on my 40, does anyone know the best suspension to put on my 100, where can I find a muffler bearing for my 3rd gen, Why does my FJ have three windshield wipers?

However, I have yet to see a single thread or post on one of the most important part of an adventure...FOOD! An army marches on its stomach. Whether its a day trip or a two week adventure
to a far off land meals are planned.

I am starting this thread to share our kitchen hacks. It can be anything from the snacks you pack that are at arms length while going up that epic track to the gourmet steak that has been marinating for the last two weeks to morning coffee. What about coolers? Not everyone has a fridge. Do you pre chill? How do you pack your cooler? What about beer? Who likes an ice cold one around the fire after a good day on the track? Smores anyone?

Every rig, every trip, every convoy is different. We can all learn a little something from the world around us. So post up and lets talk about FOOD!

I'll start.

Who has one of these little bastards? Look Below.

We have tried to bring uncracked eggs and SOB they always break. So what we have started doing with our breakfast eggs is beat them up and put them in a zip lock with any and all extras, cheese, onions, chives, ham...anything you like in your eggs. Chuck them in your cooler or fridge. When it's time to cook all you have to do is pull out a pot, add water, add zip lock with eggs, bring to a boil and cook until done to your liking. If you have multiple servings in one bag, simply fold the bag vertically as many times as servings required.

Yumm...That was a good breakfast. Now for dishes.

Let the pot of water cool and either throw it on your morning fire to make sure its out before hitting that epic track or pour it back into your Nalgene for the day. Paper plates go into the burn bag to help start the evening fire. Zip lock goes into the trash-a-roo to be packed out. So all you have is a fork or two to wash. Dishes done! BOOM!

BACON! Need to talk about BACON!
IMG_1424.JPG

I've moved to a pelican case 1600 as my camp kitchen with a lid organizer. I can move it between vehicles and take it to a picnic table. It's a perfect size.

That said I cannot over state the reality of how much a fridge is a food game changer... PACK it at home while plugged into 120v keep things frssh, no ice slushy, no chasing ice, no freaking out when the kids leave the lid open. Come home and pop everything back in the fridge without wasting anything for fear of SPOILAGE. Ice cold anything, back I can make popsicles in moab, it's rad.

Another thing we do is freeze steaks and proteins to help the fridge not work so hard. We also pre-marinate them in zip lock bags. Fresh greens are a treat on the trail, so we pack a lot of them. We only keep one days beverages in the fridge per day, then cool the next set down over night.

My big expenditure for next season's trail runs is a fridge. I also have started doing the scrambled eggs in a ziplock bag as it cuts down on prep time in the field as well as less stuff to worry about breaking or cleaning. Right now it's just a cooler and ice and I pre chill or freeze things the day before the trip help keep them cold over extended days.

I'll also add that I've started to really get more in-depth in my meal planning such as pre cooking bacon so I don't end up dealing with all that greasy mess to have to clean up every morning and switching to instant oatmeal's when I know time is short in the morning and don't have time to prepare a lot of food at camp. Coffee is essential to get me going but that's easy and quick. I'm starting to pack a lot more quick fix food items such as canned soups and they're pretty heavy and hearty to satisfy as a meal. Supplementing driving in the day with high protein snacks to graze on helps a lot so you're not starving by the time you set camp and start to cook. I'm trying to break it down to where I only need one burner and one pot to do all of my meals so I'm not lugging around an entire kitchen set.

If you scramble your eggs before heading out, funnel them into an empty water bottle (the disposable kind). Then the bag won't spill everywhere and you can shake them up/freeze them whatever.

Mind. B
If you scramble your eggs before heading out, funnel them into an empty water bottle (the disposable kind). Then the bag won't spill everywhere and you can shake them up/freeze them whatever.
Mind. Blown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom