What's holding me back?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rfj62

SILVER Star
Threads
Alright, I have a problems thats been bugging me since I got the rig over a years ago. In 2nd and 3rd I am sluggish until I hit 2200 and 2400 rpms (that point varies on how the transmission kick down cable is adjusted) then it's like a turbo kicks in. So what is keeping me back before I hit this spot?

I have adjusted the throttle cable, adjusted the kick down cable from it being slacked to it being very tight, that just seems to move that threshold up or down a little at a time, within a 200 or so rpms range. The cable also moves freely as I open and close the throttle with my hand. The tranny fluid is fine. I have done everything at least three time to make sure I am not missing anything.

I also adjusted the valve and reset the timing more than once but I am not noticing this behavior in any other gear.

Also the tranny and transfer case was rebuilt before I purchased it according to guy and I have receipts that he gave me from Mountain Transmission in Montrose, Co. I don't know anything about them or if this is even a transmission problem.

So does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be because I am stumped??
thanks Jeff

Last edited:
That is how 2nd works on the stock A440.

1st and 3rd are torquey off the line, 2nd is what I call the climbing gear, D is for cruising.

D should feel a bit like 2nd off the line; sluggish (compared to 1st or 3rd).

On 33s, I take 2nd up to around 40-45 if I need to keep rpms up on an incline, like (sadly) a highway on-ramp. 3rd gets me up to 60 (and can also hang around up to 70mph if you need it), and D is for flat cruising.

The 3FE is comfortable easily into 4k RPM, just takes getting used to once you are in the 3500rpm ballpark. Max HP is measured at 4200rpm. Max torque is at 2200rpm, which is where you are feeling that little oomph. When I am climbing I try to keep the rpms up, 2500 is the minimum.

Last edited:
I can see what your saying about that being the peak torque spot but it seems strange that I would actually feel a surge at this point. It also seems odd to me that the peak spot would vary by how tight or loose the transmission kick down cable is adjusted. On my last FJ62, which I had for about 4 year, I don't recall any surge at all.
Any other input.

My 62 only goes 67 top speed woohoo. But I'm only keeping it around 2500 & with 33's and stock gearing

-Carl

its just where the powerband is on the motor.

My 62 only goes 67 top speed woohoo. But I'm only keeping it around 2500 & with 33's and stock gearing

-Carl

Something isn't right.

I can easily get over 100 mph with 33's and 4.11's (stock gears), If I wanted to. But I guess if your only keeping it at 2500, that's about what u get.

Something isn't right.

I can easily get over 100 mph with 33's and 4.11's (stock gears), If I wanted to. But I guess if your only keeping it at 2500, that's about what u get.

Stay away from me at 100.:eek:

I have never gotten my ride over 80. The problem is slowing this lead sled down.

Carl, once you get used to revving the 3FE it will become a whole new motor for you. Try taking 3rd gear up to 3500rpm and see. I promise it won't fall apart on you. ;)

Especially if you aren't weighted down with heavy front bumper/winch, sliders, swingout rear bumper, gear, spares, fluids, etc.. (like mine is), you'll see that 3rd is a great gear to take mountain passes at speed with. If you become comfortable with the rpms, the momentum game comes into play a little less. After driving this way for about 5 years I have no discomfort pushing that engine. 250k and it shows no sign of slowing down- well other than it is getting yanked this weekend for a 1HZ. hehe

The best Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) is always at peak torque for a gasser (& maybe any infernal combustion engine), so your best mileage will be at peak torque. The range from peak torque to peak HP is where your best acceleration is, so a slight surge or feeling like the engine is just starting to be 'happy' is about right. Once you go past peak HP you'll feel the engine "nose over" or "fall off".

Advance the timing (turn distributor counterclockwise) to the highest idle. Drive up a hill or pull a trailer. Retard it until it doesn't knock or ping. It'll make a hell of a difference.

All is good then

so a slight surge or feeling like the engine is just starting to be 'happy' is about right. Once you go past peak HP you'll feel the engine "nose over" or "fall off".

...., which is where you are feeling that little oomph.

OK, sounds good to me, I just wasn't sure if I was missing something in the lower end of things.

Oh, I did forget to mention that it's a new short block and my older FJ62 had about 170k on it. :doh:
Minor little details.

EGR problem

Well after reading a lot of info here and at the 3FE site, and some help from Jon Held's web page, it seems as though I might have an EGR problem.

It's throwing no codes.

Here's what I have done so far;
checked PCV valve.
checked charcoal canister (the FSM is wrong in its description of how you check it from what I found and read on 3fe)
VCV??? I applied about 20 psi (too much, too little??) did get a little air out of the z port, not as much as when I had vacuum applied.
Checked all 3 vsv's.
Replaced egr valve and modulator.

Here's what I still need to do;
Clear the rest of the hard lines.
Check to see if voltage is getting the VSV's Does anyone know at what point the VSV's should switch open/closed?
What else could I check??
Is there a quick way to shut off or plug the egr system to absolutely verify that it is the EGR?

Thanks for any input. Jeff

In my first post I did not clarify that I have a hard time getting above the 2000rpm range. If I am driving up an incline no matter how gentle it will not go above the 2000rpm without dropping to 1st gear. If I'm on a level road it will get over the the 2000rpm range, albeit slowly, and then the turbo feel will kick in.

That is how 2nd works on the stock A440.

1st and 3rd are torquey off the line, 2nd is what I call the climbing gear, D is for cruising.

D should feel a bit like 2nd off the line; sluggish (compared to 1st or 3rd).

On 33s, I take 2nd up to around 40-45 if I need to keep rpms up on an incline, like (sadly) a highway on-ramp. 3rd gets me up to 60 (and can also hang around up to 70mph if you need it), and D is for flat cruising.

The 3FE is comfortable easily into 4k RPM, just takes getting used to once you are in the 3500rpm ballpark. Max HP is measured at 4200rpm. Max torque is at 2200rpm, which is where you are feeling that little oomph. When I am climbing I try to keep the rpms up, 2500 is the minimum.

Last edited:
@rfj62 did you conquer what was going on. Having all the same problems you are and decide to finally run a compression test and discovered a crack in the in the cylinder head on number three in between the valves. I wonder if a bad EGR, Bad PCV anda bad charcoal canister being full could cause this. my theory all these things cause the EGR to stay in a faulty position and create a misfire situation where the exhaust becomes saturated with HC and CO.

This was exactly what mine was running like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom