1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's he looking at????????

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bigndn, Jul 30, 2005.

1. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    OK, a buddy of mine was in a tragic accident the other day. He's being held on $1 millon bond. He's in custody and facing aggravivated DUI plus probably 3 counts vehicular manslaughter. He's only 26 years old, has started his own business and has recently purchased his own home/property. Sadly, the other folks didn't make it..........a guy (back on leave from from the military), his girlfriend, a two YO..............the two month old is in the hospital.

I can count him as a good friend, and will go to see him tomorrow in the Boundary Co. Jail. I'm just curious.........

Accidents will happen, not condoning DUI or anything, this all occurred at 0319, and there's other circumstances I can't go into right now.

2. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Friend of mine was killed when his car was t-boned by a guy in a Chevy Silverado, who instead of stopping when the light turned yellow, gunned it. THe police said he had around 8 seconds to stop (went thru the red light after it had been red about 3-4 seconds) and was going about 70 MPH in a 35 zone. The driver of the silverado was charged with vehicular homicide by depraved indifference, since he had every opportunity to stop safely, but chose not to. I think he got 10 years maximum security. On top of that, he got cleaned out in a civil lawsuit by my friend's wife. SHe got his house, everything in it, his bank accounts, his boat, and after all that, she still has a lein on any future earnings. THe guy can look forward to having nothing left of his life when he gets out all because he wanted to save 45 seconds on his way home by not waiting for a traffic light..

Steve

3. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Tragic. I hear people saying that they drive better on a few drinks because they feel relaxed. Unbelievable. It's hard to see people die as a result of poor choices and it's a tragedy to see someone who is otherwise a decent person have to have their life destroyed in prison. Nobody wins in these situations. I'm sorry for your friend and for the 2 month old who was orphaned. Likewise for your friend PolterGeist. These situations make you more cautious and greatful that you've made it this far without problems and cause you to hope that the future stays smooth as well...

4. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

i feel for you and your loyalty to your friend is being tested but realise he is not
    "only 26 years old", for Christ sake he is an adult not a 12 year old kid.
    there is no "other" circumstances that condone driving while drunk. use a cab, call a friend, walk, in a nut shell he killed 3 people. his "life" is over.

5. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

If' he's got a cruiser, tell him to sell it to you immediately! He won't be driving again for a long time, if ever again. We all make mistakes. Some require more payment than others. This one's gonna cost your friend dearly, and rightly so.

6. calamaridog

calamaridog

He's totally ****ed and needs to sell all his s*** to get the best attorney he can find.

"Accidents will happen, not condoning DUI or anything, this all occurred at 0319, and there's other circumstances I can't go into right now."

Yea, your friend just murdered 3 people. He killed a family. How totally screwed is that?

Drinking and driving is deadly serious. No sympathy here.

And yet, he is your friend, so be a pal and visit him, write him some letters. It will make his time in purgatory more bearable.

7. reffug

reffug

Dude his life is over and in a very big way.

A 2 year old. He is so fawked I don't even want to go into it.

8. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

I hope he rots in jail forever. He just destroyed 3 lives by being a selfish s***head. Accidents happen but he chose to drive under the influence. That was no accident.

9. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Sad for everyone.

Also brings up the real need for a personal liability umbrella. Not sure if that would work since he was drunk and breaking the law, but if he wasn't, for not much money we can all prtect our assets by making sure auto liability limits and HO insurance meet the threshold.

I agree he is guilty and will carry the burden, both financially and emotionally, for the rest of his life. No flames in your direction, I appreciate the reminder of what not to do, this guy is going to need your friendship and help liquidating assets.

Also a wake-up to carry more than adequate life insurance, to take car of the ones you leave behind. That couple could have been any one of us, and the 2 mo old is now at the mercy of family or worse, the courts.

Don't wait to protect yourselves and the ones you love.

10. crushers

just to be sure you understand, if it really was an accident and alcohol or stupidity wasn't involved i would be totally sympethetic to you and your friend and his situation...
    accidents do happen and people do die everyday on the highways in NA.

but alcohol changes everything. that is now murder and it is NOT an accident.

11. wob

wob

Several ruined lives.

We all make mistakes and most drive at some time or another when they shouldn't. Your pal is in serious trouble. I'm sure no one feels worse than he does right now.

12. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    wob's right, we've all done it at some point and been damn lucky we didn't kill someone. His luck ran out and now he's ****ed forever just like the two month old who lived.

I'm sure your friend wasn't the devil, but he'll be portrayed as one for a long time now.

13. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    bigndn, that story is sad

in 1996 I t-boned the fire chief of Augusta Georgia. He was drunk and ran a red light with his lights blazing and no siren. Totaled my car and his car, both of us "walked" away, he was actually stumbling. The second fireman in command drove me to work and then picked me up after work and took me home. The whole time telling how the chief was a great guy and he didn't mean to do it. There were no charges and no reports, just swept it under the rug. Sad thing was when the dust cleared nothing happened to him and my insurance went up. I guess i took one for the team.

14. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a sad story. Driving drunk is never a joke and should never be done. I'm sorry for your friend and even more sorry for the family. I don't know if it's just me or what but I am terrified to drive if I've had even one beer. I know that I'm not likely to swerve into a pedestrian or hit a car with just one drink, it's the breathalizer I'm terrified of. So I just don't take any chances. In the military they use the Uniform Code of Military Justice and if you get off in civil court your career will be lost with just one DUI. For some that might not mean much but I'm sure there are alot of folks with careers that take unnecessary risk. Frick man it's just that simple, don't drink and drive. How hard is that? Sit your ass at the house you're at, ask your buddy's wife to drive you home, call your wife. Freaking walk if it's close, call a cab. It's just not worth it to endanger anyone's life over a few beers. F@%K.

If some drunk f@&k slams into my family and takes away everything important to me over a few drinks, there will be hell to pay, and I would never forgive him.

It's too bad he killed a service member on leave from war. WTF unbelievable :mad: I agree that he will live in his own hell forever which sucks and I'm sorry for that, but that's life. He is your friend and he needs your support still. Damn that's just a s***ty situation. Good luck man.

15. crushers

i disagree, "took one for the team" what if he wasn't so lucky next time and killed a family? would you still feel right in taking one for the team? or would have wished you would have gotten him off the road?

16. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    local gal(who I went to school with) in town, killed a family because she was driving drunk and fawked up on coke, she only spent less then 2 years in jail........!!!!! :mad:

17. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    Everything you all have said is true. There's a lot of details that are still sketchy at this point, I think his 'life' as he knows it is over. Regardless of what the courts decide, knowing him, he'll be his own worst punishment. When I said he's "only 26 years old", all I meant is that his life is just beginning..........I didn't mean to imply that he's not an adult. He definately will have to face the consequences of his choices and actions, and rightly so. I have nothing but sympathy for the family and youngster this tragic accident has left behind. This collision has already destroyed a lot of people, even if they weren't directly involved in the collision, i.e. the family members and close friends of the deceased. I'm certain his parents, siblings, and other friends are also suffering because of his actions and choices, I know I am.

One of the 'other circumstances' I referred to is that he just returned from an assignment where he was probably sleep deprived. I read an article recently that said being sleep deprived is very similar to having a BAL of .10. No excuses, I've been there.........returned from an assignment in 2000 where I worked 240 hours in 14 days. Physically exhausting work, running a chainsaw on a fireline, carrying 50 lbs of gear for the majority of it. That leaves 6.9 hours per day for sleep, shower, breakfast, dinner, etc. The day after I returned, I drove to the Post Office around 0900 to get my mail and veered off the highway, hitting one of the reflective posts......I was scared s***less and confused as to how I dozed off or whatever. I've always wondered what might have happened had I veered across into oncoming traffic. Now, I would consider myself 'impaired' even though I wasn't drunk/drinking/hungover in that case, just tired.

I'll be going to visit tonight.

Don't bad things happen in 3's? Yesterday, my wife's aunt suffered a brain anyeurism (sp?) and died, and my load of rebar for my shop floor was delivered to the wrong place (8 miles away), so I hope I'm in the clear for a while.

My original question was "What's he looking at?" I'm curious if anyone knows the max sentence for these crimes.

18. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Tough call, very emotional case and I believe the Judge has the ability to go above and beyond the sentencing guidelines here. Prolly at least 20 years if convicted, get him a great attorney, BAC's were taken at the hospital I'm sure, any idea of the numbers?

19. crushers

i am sure a lot of us understand driving while dead tired, you just want to get home... i know i have in the past and it is scary to hear the rumble strips and jerk back awake... the last few years i have just pull over and grab a few ZZZZs...
    add to that even a couple beers and wozzers that would be a bad trip...

i don't think any of us are pretending to be "holy than thou", we all have made mistakes...

his life isn't just beginning, his life is over.

20. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    all you guys who are so harsch about drunk driving should remember that one drink is enough to push most people over the limit...

he never mentioned what his bac was. while i'm guessing it probably was a few drinks to the wind, what if it wasn't...what if it was a drink or two and a failure of judgment...would you be so harsch then.